Young adult traveling solo on ferries and buses around Vancouver Island

I am a pathological worrier. I don’t blame you a bit, and don’t find your concerns at all “ridiculous.”

The OP isn’t forbidding her D from going, she is just expressing normal concern for her D. When we were young, we did survive without our cell phones, but we’ve gotten spoiled in having that ability to communicate at all times. That’s the part of this trip that would have me a little uncomfortable.

The info about this area from people familiar with it sounds comforting. I’m sure the D will manage very well. Just make her promise to get in touch with you when she arrives safe and sound.

Have they ever identified all the feet they found floating and washed up around Vancouver Island?

Google “Salish Sea” and “human foot”.

If she buys a bus ticket to (or from) Vancouver then the ferry crossing is included. It’s easier than piecemeal trips where you may have to wait overnight for the next bus. If you end up taking a car across during the summer, get a reservation.

Feet always come off of drowning victims after a few days. It is the more recent trend of everyone wearing lightweight running shoes that made them float.

@JustOneDad

http://www.theprovince.com/quite+solved+mystery+severed+feet/10281333/story.html

I’m thrilled to be on CC long enough to recognize that I can rely on some people to keep it classy, @JustOneDad

Wow.

Well, good to know it’s nothing sinister.

Changing the subject:

If your daughter likes to read novels, one of my favorites of the last few years is partially set on Vancouver Island. It’s called A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki, and it is really wonderful. I highly recommend it, especially for anyone traveling to the region. (I’ve mentioned it on this forum before so sorry for repetition).

@nottelling , thanks for recommendation. I will pass it along. BTW, although we all know how friendly Canadians are, I’m still not sure I’d suggest she get in the car with someone offering her a ride to town unless she was traveling with a pack of other interns.