<p>Okay, Driver, next time I go to Phila after they have their new facility–I’ll go.</p>
<p>Barnes: See it now, before the new facility turns it into “just another art museum”. Also, dmd: those must have been some hormones or some drugs working back then. What you are remembering as “peachy nudes” is probably the custom fresco Matisse painted over the doorways in the entrance hall. It’s undoubtedly the best collection of impressionist and post-impressionist art on this side of the Atlantic.</p>
<p>Ithaca: If you’re there when it’s going on, visit the farmer’s market in the park down by Lake Seneca. When we visited there on a Sunday morning, it was magical: boats on the lake, wonderful buskers (a bluegrass group and a woman playing an actual hurdy-gurdy), great (upscale) food. And we wound up adopting a dog. Not that it mattered much, but my daughter thought Cornell was the most beautiful of all the colleges she saw, and Ithaca the nicest non-urban college town.</p>
<p>Even though I’m a long-time resident of Lower Merion, I admit to being confused as to what the Barnes Foundation’s ultimate status will be. The current situation is as murky and politically-charged as the circumstances surrounding its original founding. The move to Philadelphia seemed like a done deal a year ago–but I’m not so sure about that now. I would prefer that it stay in the original building, displayed as Dr. Barnes had originally intended, however quirky it may be. All they need to do is raise the price of admission to the levels of other similar museums world-wide, and their financial and maintenance problems would disappear. A recent NYT article from last month, which the Barnes has (typically) managed to convert into quirky format with lots of unexplained question marks:
</p>
<p><a href=“http://www.barnesfoundation.org/v_p_nyt062306.html[/url]”>http://www.barnesfoundation.org/v_p_nyt062306.html</a></p>
<p>Oh, forget the Barnes museum, it’s not really in Philadelphia anyway is it? Just kidding, I haven’t visited but isn’t it in Montgomery or Bucks county?</p>
<p>The Reading terminal market and the new Constitution Center are two great places. The constitution center is just down the block from the Liberty Bell. Just grab one of the brochures and see what appeals that day. WXPN has a cool cafe <a href=“http://www.xpn.org/[/url]”>http://www.xpn.org/</a> where you can hear new music. The Bourse (in historical area) is an old movie theatre with independent movies. The art museum always has new exhibits and is good for outside photos in Rocky Balboa style. I would just pick a couple of places and play it by ear.</p>
<p>The Barnes Foundation is in Merion, PA, which is about 1 mile from City Line Avenue and about five miles from Villanova. (It’s on the Main Line, which used to refer to the Main Line of the Pennsylvania Railroad, but now just means “snooty people and overpriced houses.”)</p>
<p><a href=“It’s%20on%20the%20Main%20Line,%20which%20used%20to%20refer%20to%20the%20Main%20Line%20of%20the%20Pennsylvania%20Railroad,%20but%20now%20just%20means” title=“snooty people and overpriced houses.”>quote</a>
[/quote]
Ouch. That hurts. Sigh. Alexander Cassatt, brother of the famous artist Mary, was president of the Pennsylvania RR during its heyday. He and his executives lived in my immediate neighborhood back then, and I enjoy their taste in architecture every morning when I walk my dog. When I first moved to the Main Line many years ago, I was concerned that I would find myself surrounded by snooty blue-bloods. I instead found myself surrounded by many people (including classic blue-bloods) who were among the kindest people I have ever met. Sounds like the good folks in the Pacific NW might be a tougher nut to crack.</p>
<p>And the Barnes is one block off of City Line, not one mile.</p>
<p>Sigh, well, driver, we know we don’t see eye-to-eye… but when I visit the Main Line these days–for reunions and funerals, as I’ve said before–I find people very snooty. Not the true blue-bloods, who are invariably wonderful–I have fond memories of being invited on rabbit trails by a woman everyone referred to as “the Duchess” (her house is now a retirement home)–but by the same people who look down on flip flops. Invariably someone I went to high school with makes a crack about my shoes (which are west coast practical because I have bone spurs in both heels)–and the people I went to high school with are now just as rigid, humorless, and priggish as their fathers were back in the 60s. (Because my father worked for the Philadelphia Bulletin, we were considered part of the hoi polloi out there on the Main Line… it was the “my father worked” part that seemed to bother people. Most of them cut coupons for a living. These days their sons are working as bankers and building enormous tasteless houses on what used to be horse farms.)</p>
<p>Only on the east coast does it matter what your <em>grandfather</em> did to earn his money–and Philadelphia may be one of the worst examples of that.</p>
<p>I’m sorry you had such a bad childhood experience in Philly. But…given your impressions of the Barnes…you really should come back and try again (aside from those always-fun funerals). You must have had your eyes closed most of the time.</p>
<p>The Pacific Northwest Chill (aka Fake Nice) is legendary to newcomers. At least East Coast people are direct.</p>
<p>Speak for yourself Barrons! I always talk to strangers! (really, I am very chatty for a right coaster)</p>
<p>Hey, Driver, I said I’d try to see the Barnes the next time I was in Philadelphia. I doubt it will be any time soon, but you never know. In 2002 I was there three times in three months (college visit, reunion, memorial service). It was so much fun I could hardly stand it.</p>
<p>I think Barrons may be referring to the “be polite to out-of-towners, but wait a few years to see if they stay” philosophy that some PNWers have. I’ve seen it, but at least they’re polite in the mean time. And no one here has EVER asked me what my father did, or my grandfather… which I was asked often in Boston and Phila. (My husband’s mother took less than 15 minutes before she asked me if I was eligible for the DAR. Around here, no one knows what that is.)</p>
<p>Well, personally I can’t wait to move back east and get away from a place where 'history" barely covers 100 years and dressing like you are still poor in grad school is acceptable. My brick colonial is waiting. The 200 year old antiques are being purchased. Of course I know what the DAR is. My HS gave a DAR scholarship every year.</p>
<p>oh, no, not the, “Only on the east coast does it matter what your <em>grandfather</em> did to earn his money–and Philadelphia may be one of the worst examples of that” Just because city folk are snobby, don’t lump all of us east coasters together. We are quite friendly in my part of the state, and chatty too. But, not that annoying chatty.</p>
<p>the adirondacks! lake placid is fun, but stay out of lake george unless you’re into the touristy scene.</p>
<p>Update: D is visiting Phila. and surrounds and thoroughly enjoyed her cheesesteak from Steaks on South, and also appreciated their sign “You can speak any language you want.” :-)</p>
<p>First impression of Dickinson: ehh.</p>
<p>AAHHHHH - southeast New England is worth visiting… Cape Cod - from the Cape Cod Canal all the way to Provincetown - and make sure to take the road less traveled - not the highway - lots of wonderful galleries and talent - the tip of the cape offers a unique experience and no other place on earth quite like it… then travel west from the Cape to Newport, RI (on the way to Providence, RI) - and make sure to enjoy the road around Newport that ends at the mansions and the cliff walk.</p>
<p>OOO and us East Coasters are very friendly - believe it or not… and we won’t ask you about your DAR potentials in this neck of the coast either LOL</p>
<p>And don’t forget all the nice restaurants and eateries here too - fresh sea food like no other. Of course I am a bit smitten by this area so… enjoy</p>