Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Transfer from a CC

Essenceoflife10Essenceoflife10 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited November 2010 in Transfer Students
Hello! currently i am a freshman attending a community college in Texas. I want to leave this school for the next academic year (Fall 2011) and begin my journey at a 4 year university!
Problem is, I'm having a dilemma on a few things: which school to attend, my major, and my classes. Btw, my high school grades were terrible! Thanks for the help in advance!

Major: Psychology on the premed track
GPA: 3.6-3.8
1st semester classes:
-English I
-History I
-Intro to Psych
-College Algebra

Wintermester:
-Gov. I

Potential Spring Sched.
-English II
-History II
-Intro to Bio
-Intro to Chem
-Statistics or Calculus
-Gov II (Online)

First question: I couldn't take a science my first semester so for Spring sem. i want to take Bio and Chem to stay on the premed track...is this a good idea?

Second question: I want to double major in Psychology and neuroscience, which top colleges can i get into if i finish out the year with a solid 3.6- 3.8 GPA minimum.
-If i picked one (either psychology or neuroscience) which would be best?

Third question: Would my course load for Spring be too much to handle?

Thank you so much!
Post edited by Essenceoflife10 on

Replies to: Transfer from a CC

• AndaleAndale Registered User Posts: 7,304 Senior Member
    We don't have nearly enough information to begin suggesting schools. Type of school, geography, financial need, atmosphere of school.... we don't know what you want or need.

Your second semester courseload looks to be about 18 credits (assuming the sciences are lab courses and the math is 4 credits if it's calculus); excluding the online course. 18 credits is a load that some Engineering freshman do, but it is a heavy load if I'm guessing correctly on the credits. Add 2 or 3 credits for the online course... .and I don't think I'd recommend it; but a better person to ask would be your advisor.

If you want to know which major would be best (I would think that would be a personal decision), and you are asking in terms of what helps you get into Med school, I would suggest posting that question on the Pre-Med forum.
  • Essenceoflife10Essenceoflife10 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Oh sorry! um, location of the college doesn't really matter but i prefer urban/suburbs. I've been looking into possibly some Ivy league? and other schools like A&M, Baylor, UT Austin, NYU, UCLA.

But thank you for the advice!
This discussion has been closed.