Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Looking for advice on transferring to an art school

sbbrody92sbbrody92 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited April 2012 in Transfer Students
Hi folks!

I'm currently wrapping up my first year at McGill University in Montreal, where I'm studying English. I'm interested in transferring -- either as a junior or as soon as next spring -- to a school where I can study creative writing or screenwriting, and I was wondering if anyone could offer some insight on what this entails. The Transfer Admissions 101 post was helpful but I thought I might benefit from some direct advice. I hope this post is okay and that I put it in the right forum!

My grades in both high school and university have been decent, if not particularly spectacular... I'm hovering somewhere around a 3.0 GPA. My SAT score was 2100 and my ACT score was 31, so again -- decent, but not great. Ideally I'd like to apply somewhere that considers portfolios too, because I think my actual writing will help my chances at acceptance more than my grades/scores.

I'd love to hear some opinions about what schools to look at as well as any other advice you think is pertinent. I should add that although I live in Canada right now, I'm from San Francisco and I want to go back to the US, be it California or somewhere else.
Post edited by sbbrody92 on

Replies to: Looking for advice on transferring to an art school

• entomomentomom Registered User Posts: 23,662 Senior Member
    At many schools, CW is a concentration within the English major. And often you must apply for the CW concentration at the end of soph year with a writing portfolio. Truthfully, I'm not sure how this would work if you're transferring in as a jr.

I'm not sure how complete this list is, but it might be a good start:

Creative Writing Programs - Undergraduate Programs and Degree Listings - NewPages.com

If you find some schools that look suitable, you might give their English/CW department a call and ask how they deal with jr transfers. My D1 was an English/CW major and transfer too, but as a soph, so it wasn't an issue.
This discussion has been closed.