Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Which of the following colleges could I transfer to?

SamCaldwell2012SamCaldwell2012 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
edited November 2012 in Transfer Students
So I'm currently at Centre College in Kentucky. It's a (VERY) small liberal art school. usnews last year had it ranked at #42 national liberal art colleges, so I'm not transferring from a CC.

High school stats:

3.86 UW GPA
29 ACT

Was an official in National Honor Society, volunteered with the humane society, along with other school clubs.

I worked at a chemical plant (Dow Corning) from Aug. 11-Aug. 12 in the quality assurance lab as a lab technician.

The AP classes I took:

Junior:

- AP English Comp (3)
- AP US History (3)
- AP Chem (1)
- AP Biology (1)

Senior:

- AP Stats (3)
- AP Calc (3)

Obviously science isn't my forte... Will those scores go against me? I went to a pretty bad public high school that was just getting introduced to AP classes. AP Bio/AP Chem were literally in their first year there that I took them. And I just suck at science.

I don't have college stats yet, but I'm taking

- Chemistry
- Calculus
- Economics
- Humanities

And if I had to guess a GPA... I would say around 3.5-3.8 for my first semester. I came from a high school were I didn't have to try at all (like literally no studying and doing HW before class started) to be at the top. And college definitely changed that, so I'm determined to get a better GPA next semester.

My extracurriculars at the moment are writing for our school's newspaper and the economics club.

I'm currently looking for a volunteering opportunity. Suggestions?

But the major I was pursuing here was "Financial Economics". My goal is to work in the northeast in investment banking. I have the attitude if I don't like it, I'll have good exit opps. At this point, I would go for middle-market and not just BB. I just want to be in the city doing finance (I wouldn't want to be a lawyer, doctor, engineer, etc)

I was planning on networking the hell out of alums at my school to try and get into the industry, but I haven't really enjoyed my time here a ton. The atmosphere is really conservative, and I'm kind of (really) tired of the small town atmosphere.

So what are some good schools I could look into transferring?

I was thinking NYU, Boston College, Boston University... Any suggestions? Any semi-target schools that I would have a chance of maybe getting in?
Post edited by SamCaldwell2012 on

Replies to: Which of the following colleges could I transfer to?

• SamCaldwell2012SamCaldwell2012 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    Also -

I was considering Vanderbilt. Simply because it's a good school, and even though it's in the south, it's still a semi-target (IMO) for IB. The reason I was thinking about Vandy is two reasons:

1. They have a strangely high transfer rate of above 50%
    2. My college and Vandy are closely associated (a lot of Centre alums go there for grad, vandy comes here for fairs a lot)

But I would still be in the south... And I've heard Vandy is pretty conservative/rich kid/preppy... But then again, it is in Nashville...

Thoughts on that one? I could at least apply...
  • SamCaldwell2012SamCaldwell2012 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    anyone have any suggestions?
This discussion has been closed.