Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I owe money to my first college, what are my options for transferring?

WickedEyreWickedEyre Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited May 2014 in Transfer Students
Greetings all,

I went to college right out of high school and transitioned horribly. I had no support net and family emergencies on top of personal problems lead me to flunk out my first quarter (the college ran on trimesters). I had a pretty good scholarship going for me, so I don't owe them a huge amount, relatively. However, this amount is something that I would not be able to pay back in the two years it will take me to graduate from junior college. I want to finish my degree soon instead of putting it off until I am able to pay off this debt so I can transfer to another university because that would take too long. I'm 20 and tuition's only getting higher and honestly I would feel pretty useless if I wasn't in school.

I'm not sure if it's relevant but right now I have 18 credits under my belt plus 6 more from AP exams. I am in honors courses at my junior college, currently at a 3.7 gpa, PTK, 30 on my ACT, all that fun nerd stuff. I recently found out that colleges do the same thing banks do when you're trying to open a bank account but owe another bank money. I can be rejected from another college because I owe another money. I'm sort of frozen in place now. When I graduate, no school will accept me? What are my options? Can I go to another country? Is my only option withdrawing from college again and work until I can pay off my old college? I'm confused and sort of feeling defeated. I could use some help.

Thank you for reading,

Replies to: I owe money to my first college, what are my options for transferring?

  • entomomentomom Registered User Posts: 23,662 Senior Member
    Pay back what you owe and then move on, that's how it works.
  • guineagirl96guineagirl96 Forum Champion Math/Computer Science, Forum Champion Richmond Posts: 3,845 Forum Champion
    If you really can't pay it now, you might be able to set up a payment plan. If you are on a payment plan, this shouldn't affect transferring to other schools.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,413 Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    If you don't need financial aid to pay your current tuition bills, your current junior college will probably let you keep taking classes in non-degree status. However, if you intend to graduate from your current junior college with an associates degree, you will need to provide that junior college with an official copy of your previous transcript. That documentation is necessary for you to become an official degree candidate.

    So, get in touch with the place that you owe the money. Set up a payment plan. And accept the fact that it may take you longer than you'd like to pay down the debt. But when that is done, you can move on with your life.

    Wishing you all the best!
This discussion has been closed.