Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Calculus Question

2»

Replies to: Calculus Question

• pcristianipcristiani Registered User Posts: 283 Junior Member
    Placement tests are a bunch of BS.. they rely on the amount of points that you earn rather than on you knowing the actual concept.

I'd suggest NOT taking Calc as it is not an easy course. You should take an Algebra course if you have enough time, if not take a Pre-Calc course.
  • LagunaLaguna Registered User Posts: 575 Member
    I don't know what you guys talking about, but algebra is major in Calc. The concepts are easy to grasp, but getting the algebra down is what kills most people as they do a problem
  • b boyb boy Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    just get a TI-89 titanium and your problems are solved!!!!!
  • a89a89 - Posts: 40 Junior Member
    ^Why is that?
  • JPNguyenJPNguyen Registered User Posts: 724 Member
    The Approach: I am a math tutor myself. I highly recommend a strong foundation in College algebra(precalculus) prior to moving into standard Calc 1. Trig's basic principles are utilized. Remember the properties of the sin/cosine/tangent and vice versa. But, essentially, if calc1 is the last class you need in your math series, I would say that one can get through it with a firm understanding of college algebra and route memorization of trig.

All in all. Get a tutor if you plan on taking calc1. If your school does not offer tutoring services, look up a graduate student offering inhome or library tutoring services.

Stronger emphasis on trig if you plan on moving into calc2/3
2»
This discussion has been closed.