Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

2009 Berkeley Applications

Replies to: 2009 Berkeley Applications

• druudruu Registered User Posts: 221 Junior Member
  • fortifyfortify Registered User Posts: 1,161 Senior Member
    holy crap i wont get in then
  • robbins01robbins01 Registered User Posts: 207 Junior Member
    Holy criminy ...
  • No QuarterNo Quarter Registered User Posts: 242 Junior Member
    umm this doesn't mean that applications would neccesarily get more competitive. How many compettive applicants in CA previously wouldn't apply to Berkeley but now want to because of the economy?
  • sofla951sofla951 Registered User Posts: 291 Junior Member
    ^if this is true how can you say that it isn't going to be more competitive with applications going from 50,000 to over 86,000? Last year at around 48,000 the SAT range was 1280-1500 unsuperscored and a 20% acceptance rate. Also last year it seems they overenrolled somewhat and UC is possibly going to cut enrollment so it is definately going to be much more competitive this year if this is true which I still can't believe until I see a press release saying they received this many applications.
  • celsius_233celsius_233 Registered User Posts: 281 Junior Member
    what do you mean no quarter?

more applications = more competitive... less acceptance rate.

if a school accepts 8000/40000 applications, their acceptance rate is 20%
    if a school accepts 8600/86000 applications, their acceptance rate is 10%

that means its more competitive.

also, yes, i believe a lot of competitive applicants, who could've gone to cornell, stanford, nyu, etc, would choose to go to berkeley instead.
  • No QuarterNo Quarter Registered User Posts: 242 Junior Member
    My argument is that there are few CA residents that ONLY would've applied to competitive privates in the past, but the current economic situation has forced them to apply to UCs only, inflating the number of compettive applicants. So yes, artifically, the applications might get more competitive but definitley not the same way as an increase in good economic times would be.

Yes, matriculation rates might increase, but a) would not matter given that the number of competitve berkeley applicants wouldn't neccesarily increase and b) would affect admissiosn differently than say if 20,000 more applicants applied and they represented the normal mold of berkeley applicants.
  • bartlebybartleby Registered User Posts: 1,222 Senior Member
    I like how everyone believes in an unexplained one-year increase in applications by 30,000+ based on a sports recruiter telling some guy on a web forum something.
  • deshiskaterdeshiskater Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    Legit! Oos ftw!
  • SerafinaSerafina Registered User Posts: 524 Member
    That is insane, even if it is false or just a rumor. I wonder how the increased applications are going to affect the lower ranked UCs too..sheesh. This makes me really worried..
  • TheBlackLanternTheBlackLantern Registered User Posts: 772 Member
    i really wouldnt doubt it. my friend and i both applied to dartmouth ed and got rejected. we were told by dartmouth that their ed applicant numbers went from about 11,500 to 16,000 this year.
  • Papa ChickenPapa Chicken Registered User Posts: 2,841 Senior Member
    TheBlackLantern....fyi, Dartmouth ED apps were 1,550 this year, a 9% growth from last year (by my calculation, making their number last year = 1,422):
    Dartmouth News - Dartmouth admits 401 students through early decision - 12/11/08
  • BeatchickBeatchick Registered User Posts: 827 Member
    I read in the LA Times this weekend, and heard on the news that Arnold is trying to up the oos students to get extra $$$, meaning more acceptances to OOS if true. Guess we'll find out in a few months.
  • iVinsheiVinshe Registered User Posts: 446 Member
    Am I the only one who finds the number 86,000 incredulous?

Last year there were only 11,043 transfer applicants and 48,462 freshman applicants. 86,000 would represent a HUGE 44.5% increase in # of applicants. Now, if 86000 was the number of undergraduate AND graduate applicants...
This discussion has been closed.