Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

College Essay

DysfunctionalVetDysfunctionalVet Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
Mind reviewing my college application essay?

Thank you.

Describe a circumstance, obstacle or conflict in your life, and the skills and resources you used to resolve it. Did it change you? If so, how?

Circumstances, obstacles and conflicts, that’s what my life has consisted on since I started living by myself.

When I was 18 years old I left to London, England, to study abroad for a year. My mother supported me with the plane ticket, a month’s rent and some extra money to live for the first month, after that, I was by myself. I had to find a job, not because I wanted extra money, because I needed to pay rent, pay bills, buy food, pretty much, be a grown up. First job I could find was in a catering company, I would help set up the dining room, then I would be a waiter, then a bartender, and pretty much help with anything that was needed, I would do all of this dressed really formal. Did I enjoy it? Totally not, did I enjoy getting paid? Absolutely. But that’s when I came to realize that I needed to work hard in this life if I ever wanted to have a good future.

After coming back from England, I started working in Mexico in the Secretariat of Economic Development, always with tasks that needed to be done and deadlines for every one of them. I always enjoyed finding myself with obstacles that I needed to figure out how to get through them and succeed.

Finally joining the United States Air Force was the biggest task I have encountered myself with. Since basic military training until the moment I separated I always encountered myself with different circumstances, obstacles and conflicts. Learning how to meet deadlines as a C-130H2 Loadmaster wasn’t easy but at the end of the day you would feel like the most successful person. If you didn’t meet all your tasks on a timely manner, you wouldn’t be able to accomplish the mission. The plane wouldn’t take off; thereof we couldn’t succeed with our mission. One of the skills I always used for this would be to don’t stress, learn to keep calm and do everything in a timely manner.

I think one of my best skills, if not the best one probably, is that I am not scared of anything. If something needs to get done I always find a way to do it and I will go to the total extent of my abilities to achieve it. I might get frustrated if I find myself stuck but then I will overpass my frustration and keep my head up and achieve it.

I want the best for my future and I will go to the maximum to achieve it, I know it’s not going to be easy but at the end it’s going to be worth it. That’s another reason I want to study at the Dwight Look College of Engineering, because of it’s ranking and the great faculty teaching there.

This discussion has been closed.