right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, Student Voices - vol. 3, and Student Voices - vol. 4 eBooks NOW!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Move in dates

KandKsmomKandKsmom 1060 replies117 threads Senior Member
edited May 2008 in Virginia Tech
Is it better for freshman to move in on Wed. or Thurs. to get acclimated or wait until Fri. or Sat. when there are more students around? Just wondering what folks have done in the past that seemed to work best.
edited May 2008
4 replies
Post edited by KandKsmom on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Move in dates

• septembermomseptembermom 209 replies24 threads Junior Member
    We drove to Blacksburg on Thursday and moved son in bright and early on Friday. The move in went very smoothly, they have it organized very well. We spent Friday night participating in things they had going on for parents and students (movie on the drillfield, etc.). I am not sure how many things are going on for students earlier in the week, so waited until Friday. They had things going on both Sat. and Sunday for students, but there was plenty of time for son to get acclimated before classes began on Monday. I know this upcoming year, they are starting a week later than they did this past year. Classes begin Aug. 25th this year.
    · Reply · Share
  • KandKsmomKandKsmom 1060 replies117 threads Senior Member
    Thanks septembermom, We are about 3.5 hours from VT, so we are thinking of driving up early Friday morning and moving him in, then spending the night before returning on Sat. I didn't realize they had activities for the parents that weekend....that sounds fun and a good way for this soon to be emotional mom to keep her mind off of the fact that she's leaving her firstborn at college. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • septembermomseptembermom 209 replies24 threads Junior Member
    KandK,
    We had a long drive (12 hours), so did the Thursday trip down. We got son moved in, did trip to Christiansburg for Wal-Mart shopping trip, husband and son dealt with computer and printer hook up stuff. Son met up with kids he had met at orientation, husband and I enjoyed the pool at hotel. Friday night they had a cook-out and then a movie, so after saying goodbye to son, the movie took our minds off the sniffling! I don't recall son sniffling one bit when he walked across the drillfield to meet up with friends! It is hard to believe the first year is over-you will be amazed how quickly the year goes by.
    · Reply · Share
  • sunnydadsunnydad 45 replies15 threads Junior Member
    what sort of activities they have for parents. I am thinking of returning to miami on friday the 22.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity