Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Please help me out!

Steve-0Steve-0 Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
edited September 2006 in Arizona State University
Okay here's the thing... I was suppose to move to arizona for my senior year, but I guess now i'm staying in PA for the rest of my senior year, till next summer when we move to AZ. So here's my question... I heard that to be an instate resident in Arizona you just need to change your license plate to Arizona, and then buy a home. Is that true? SO I could get instate tuition? On the other hand, if I choose to stay in Pennsylvania for college, then would I still be considered instate even though we moved??? So I technically could be instate, in 2 different states???

Help would be much appreciated!!!
Post edited by Steve-0 on

Replies to: Please help me out!

  • *devo**devo* Registered User Posts: 143 Junior Member
    You might want to check with someone at ASU. The residency requirements aren't usaually that simple. My friend is out-of-state and his first 3 semesters were as an OOS student. It may be more difficult than you think to establish residency in AZ while living in PA. For one thing, you wouldn't be able to work and pay taxes in PA while claiming to be an AZ resident.
  • Chitown033Chitown033 Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    No, it is much more extensive than that. You have for one thing live in the state for 12 consecutive months. Here is a link that goes into detail...

  • smart&blonde<3smart&blonde<3 Registered User Posts: 184 Junior Member
    Are your parents moving to Arizona? If yes, then you may qualify to be an instate resident, provided that they get Arizona license plates and buy a house, etc. That was the impression I got when I went to a discussion about instate vs out of state tuition. The decision is really up to the school though.
  • afa81afa81 Registered User Posts: 417 Member
    If you read the website--

    "1. Physical Presence (12 Months)(You must be at least 18 at the beginning of the domicile year).

    To be eligible for classification as a resident for tuition purposes, you must provide clear and convincing evidence of continuous physical presence in the state of Arizona for the 12 months which precede the semester in question. The 12 month period is referred to as a domicile year. "

    "Exceptions to the Twelve Month Rule
    All of these exceptions MUST be verified through the Residency Classification Office. There are only six approved exceptions to the twelve-month rule. You may be eligible for resident status without waiting twelve months, if one of the following applies on or before the last day of regular registration:


    If you are a dependent of parents who are permanently domiciled in Arizona, you may possibly qualify for reclassification without waiting 12 months. Both parents (unless divorced) must claim Arizona as their legal and permanent domicile. Students who are over 18 years of age when the semester begins must be claimed as a dependent for the most recent tax year. For students under 18 years, the domicile of the parent with legal custody will determine residency. "


    This will answer most questions
This discussion has been closed.