Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cal Poly SLO Liberal Studies Program??

calibeachgalcalibeachgal Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I am interested in majoring in Liberal studies at Cal Poly. Can anyone tell me if they like it and how hard it is to get in to? I am a senior in high school and I have a 4.06 weighted cumulative, 4.17 10-11th weighted, and 3.67 unweighted. I got a 1700 on my first SAT, but i take my next one on October 11 and I have been practicing and so far I have increased my score by 200 points, but I haven't taken the official one yet, so I don't know if thats accurate. I am a nanny monday through friday working 15-20 hours a week and also I volunteer a lot.

Please help(:

Replies to: Cal Poly SLO Liberal Studies Program??

• DeekkuDeekku Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    Cal Poly includes 9th grade's grades in its GPA calculation.

The university only cares about the the math and CR portion of the SAT score (out of 1600 only). Furthermore, they admit by majors.

http://admissions.calpoly.edu/prospective/profile.html

So for College of liberal arts, its averages are:

Average GPA: 3.87
    avg SAT: 1263 (out of 1600)
    Avg ACT: 28

• SunnySoCalMomSunnySoCalMom Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    "Liberal Arts" and "Liberal Studies" are different. Liberal Studies is a major in Math and Science.
  • EmmasmumEmmasmum Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    Liberal studies looks like it is not one of the harder majors in the school of science and math for admissions as they take about 45% or so of applicants; they only look at M and CR though so concentrate on raising those. Be sure to put the Nanny job in the application as a job related to the major (which is essentially elementary education) as that will get you some admission points. I think that your weighted GPA is competitive for that major - keep working on the SAT prep. Good luck!
  • bethgrossbierbethgrossbier Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi! I'm an incoming freshman at Cal Poly SLO this year and I was accepted into the Liberal Studies program. I just wanted to clarify that Liberal Studies is strictly a major for Elementary Education. The major itself falls under the Math and Science department as they want teachers to have a better understanding of these areas.

I had almost the exact stats you have! I had a 1720 for my SAT and weighted 4.1 GPA. The CSU application only asks about how many hours a week you dedicate to volunteer/extra-curriculars and whether or not you've had a leadership position of some sort. The CSU application doesn't really let them know who you are so it's pretty much based on grades/SAT or ACT. I applied early decision but I don't think it made a huge difference. The major itself is much less impacted than their most popular majors like architecture and engineering. I would only encourage early decision if you're completely sure it is your number one choice.

I think you will definitely get in! Cal Poly is a beautiful school and I passed up a ton of UC's to go here because they truly prepare you more than any other university in California. I will never regret my decision, choose Cal Poly lol! Hope this helped :)
This discussion has been closed.