Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cal Poly Class of 2022 Thread

Replies to: Cal Poly Class of 2022 Thread

• ksquaredmomksquaredmom Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    Thank you, @bioincs!

1. We have heard that Cal Poly SLO is over enrolled. Are you feeling the effect of this with larger classes, difficulty scheduling needed/wanted classes, housing shortages, long lines in cafeteria/food places?

2. What is the stress level like? Does CS/Engineering feel competive or supportive among your peers? Do you see much depression or despair over school work? How accessible and supportive are the professors?

I am sure I will think of more. :)

Thank you!
  • CopperlineX2CopperlineX2 Registered User Posts: 511 Member
    @ksquaredmom you may also want to take a look at Cal Poly’s reddit page for listings of current students’ frustrations. There are many, but that is probably true of most overcrowded publics.
    @ksquaredmom My biggest concern is the CSU system is forcing semester conversion on all campuses. Cal Poly admin has conceded this will happen there as well. I don’t want my kid there in the middle of that circus.
    edited February 2018
    @CopperlineX2 I had not heard of this. Is it quarters now and they are going to semesters? I thought they were on semesters for some reason...

I have looked on Reddit but perhaps not deep enough??
  • bioincsbioincs Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
    edited February 2018
    On another note, there have been rumors of Cal Poly switching to the semester system. I don't know however if this has been confirmed or not. I know quite a few students are against the switch, and no official message has been released on when a switch will occur if one does at all. This has led me and many of my peers to believe that even if a switch occurs, it will likely not be for several years (and will likely also receive backlash from students).
  • bogeyorparbogeyorpar Registered User Posts: 782 Member
    @bionics, thanks for helping out.

How many OOS students do you see in the CS department? Are they quite isolated or do they socialize well with Californians? I have heard of one friend's kid who went to UCSD from OOS. He got no friends there and felt lonely and transferred back to a college in our state after a year.
    Thank you, @bioincs! Long and detailed is always appreciated!

I have also heard rumblings of isolation from less than outgoing Cal Poly OOS students. What does Cal Poly do to promote community?
  • bioincsbioincs Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
    @bogeyorpar @ksquaredmom Really? That's actually the first I've heard of anything along those lines. I've met a few out of state students and they definitely didn't seem isolated. Usually I don't even know someone is OOS unless they talk about their home, but as far as I've seen they've fit in well. Two of my apartment-mates are actually OOS and they both love it here. However, I also haven't heard of that issue at other universities so I may be uneducated on the subject.
  • ningveningve Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
    @bionics can I ask some admission questions? The biggest rumor/concern here is that if one forgot to put his algebra etc. math classes he took in middle school in his application, he would lose 250 - 500 math rigor MCA points which will greatly impact his acceptance chance. From your experience, do you think it is true? Thank you.
  • momametmomamet Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    They are being lenient with the 7th/8th grade missing math classes this year because the new application was confusing. I called admissions earlier this week and they confirmed this. Does anyone know if there is a max MCA (overall, not for the subcategories like rigor)?
    People can end up with over 5000 MCA score. I think the consensus is you can get into any major with that score
    The other question is if CP admissions will give any extra consideration to the applicants that scoured the new application (clicked on the “tips link”), called to ask questions, and entered all their classes (including middle school) correctly. Time will tell. Good luck to all!
  • ningveningve Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
    The new application can't be more clear on how to input coursework. The FIRST line is about middle school classes:

High School Coursework
    You must enter coursework to verify completion of A-G subject requirements and to allow for an accurate GPA calculation. Enter only approved college-preparatory coursework that is used to fulfill A-G subject requirements.

-Enter middle school courses in the 9th grade year (if applicable).
    -Report college courses that were used to fulfill A-G requirements by including the grade and the course type “College.”
    If entering a repeated course, note that it must be exactly the same course with exactly the same course title taken at exactly the same school at a later point in time. Enter the highest grade earned for the repeated course; do not enter this repeated course twice. If the repeated course is planned or in-progress, enter the original grade earned since a new grade has not yet been earned.
    -If you have multiple term types at the same high school, enter that high school once per term type in the High Schools Attended section. For example, if your high school included quarter and semester term types, you would enter that high school twice. in one entry you would select quarter and in the second entry you would select semester.
    For more information on coursework entry, visit this page in the Help Center.

And if you click on "visit this page", it again emphasizes on 7th\8th grade classes. I'm confused why so many people got confused.
    Because on the application you had to click on an additional link get those detailed directions. And I think the CP admissions website has now been updated and includes information that wasn’t there prior to the application going live...it now explains how to input the 7th/8th grade classes and before I don’t think it did. Also, the application’s explanation of what constitutes a repeat class was slightly different than what is now on the web site....application said that a class with same title/content was not a repeat class if taken at a different school, but web site says that even if the class is taken at a different school (like a middle school), it IS a repeat class if it has the same title/content. Fortunately my D spent a lot of time on the application and input everything correctly, but she knows many others that did not because they missed the add’l info link.