Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cal Poly Class of 2022 Thread

Replies to: Cal Poly Class of 2022 Thread

• bioincsbioincs Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
    @ningve Unfortunately I don't know too much about admissions this year. I think it is a bit of a mystery every year to everyone. I would recommend calling or emailing the school itself to ask about any application questions and they may be lenient if something needs to be fixed. Sorry I couldn't be of more help on that one.
  • psssthoypsssthoy Registered User Posts: 255 Junior Member
    Would be interested to see if there are any others who have received admissions decisions from SLO this week.
  • xafl134xafl134 Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    Any chance for decisions today?
  • novoslo2000novoslo2000 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    That would be a blessing. The wait is killing me!
  • psssthoypsssthoy Registered User Posts: 255 Junior Member
    I doubt staff will issue decisions on Super Bowl Sunday.
  • karsgilkarsgil Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    edited February 2018
    Hi Bioincs,
    @bioincs
    I am an out of state student who applied to Cal Poly SLO for next fall, and my intended major is computer science. I was wondering what you think my chances are of getting in (be honest, haha). My weighted hs GPA is 4.097 and SAT is 1200, but my Cal Poly GPA is 4.31.
  • CopperlineX2CopperlineX2 Registered User Posts: 511 Member
    @karsgil Cal Poly will cap your gpa at 4.2 in the MCA calculation. Test score makes it a huge long shot.
  • Soccergirl2232Soccergirl2232 Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    My sister applied English major in 2015 and heard back mid Feb. anyone know if it's still around that time?
    @karsgil Hi Karsgil! While I'm probably not the most accurate source for judging admissions, if your Cal Poly GPA is a 4.31, that means it will be capped at the maximum possible score of a 4.2 (it's a good thing to hit the cap). While I will be completely honest in that your SAT score is a bit below the average accepted score, it is important to take note that this is only an average. Furthermore, your capped GPA will help compensate in part for this.

Do you have any other SAT and/or ACT scores from other test dates? One thing that could help your chances is that Cal Poly superscores your best SAT/ACT reading and math sections. For example, when I was applying to Cal Poly, my best raw ACT score was a 32, however my superscore was ~34 or 35 (I believe this really improved my applicaton).

It is also worth taking a look at your MCA score (mentioned in a few places on various threads). If you don't know what this is it is a score that Cal Poly gives you based on your Cal Poly GPA, SAT/ACT superscore, and a few other factors such as extra curricular hours and family background. While I don't know how accurate the MCA score formula is on the forums, it may be worth looking at as well.

If I had to make a holistic judgement based on the information you gave me, I would say although it may not be a guaranteed shot, you definitely have a decent shot! I have certainly seen peers in my major who came in with GPA's far below the average, as well as SAT scores below as well. Average accepted statistics from previous years may be good to take a look at, however once again these are only averages and roughly half of all students will come in with "below average" statistics. Due to your capped GPA, I would say you have a shot!

As I mentioned though, I'm probably not the best source for judging admission, and even then admission changes each year. While your MCA score may be a good source to look at, I'm not sure how accurate it truly is. I don't think anyone on college confidential can truly know how admissions will make their decisions based on old formulas. As I mentioned in another post, I've heard that the math department helped the admissions office change certain things this year regarding acceptance statistics and formulas.

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer, but best of luck!!
    edited February 2018
    @karsgil I wrote another answer to your post on here but I can't see it so I think it must have been deleted somehow.

I don't know if you had a chance to see it but I mentioned how I think that though maybe not a definitive shot, I think you certainly have a shot of getting in. Your capped GPA will help compensate for a slightly lower SAT score. Also to remember that averages mentioned online and on college confidential are only averages, and that I have met several peers here who came in with lower SAT/ACT scores and/or GPA's.

It is also worth considering whether you had a superscore. Superscores can significantly help your changes at Cal Poly with regards to the SAT/ACT.

Finally, I mentioned that your MCA score may be a good thing to look into. I believe info on it should be posted either in this forum or other Cal Poly forums. However, that being said, take it with a grain of salt. I don't think anyone on college confidential knows for sure how Cal Poly admits, and as I mentioned in another post, I have heard rumor that the math department may have helped admissions change certain policies this year. Which of these policies/formulas were changed, I don't know.

Sorry I couldn't have a more definitive answer. But all in all, I think you do indeed have a shot. Best of luck!
  • AMCdadAMCdad Registered User Posts: 255 Junior Member
    @Soccergirl2232, mid-February was the time of notification last year, as well.
  • ksquaredmomksquaredmom Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    Does CalPoly require mid-year grades before making a decision? My D’s schools just closed last week and coumselors will be putting them in this week.
  • eyemgheyemgh Registered User Posts: 5,346 Senior Member
    @ksquaredmom, they don't use senior grades at all. An acceptance can be rescinded though if they don't stay above 3.0 for each semester or if a student gets a D or F.
  • ksquaredmomksquaredmom Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    edited February 2018
    Great to know, @eyemgh, thank you!
  • AMCdadAMCdad Registered User Posts: 255 Junior Member
    @ksquaredmom, make sure your student understands that it is a 3.0 overall AND in A-G course work. Sometimes seniors are able to load their schedules with some filler classes that can give them an inflated GPA. An A in "Walking P.E." will not offset C's in English and Government.