Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Unifieds Passing

JAGMINORJAGMINOR Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
Anyone get passed to different rooms at Unifieds this year spec in Chicago? Seemed like they didn't do it this year bc they moved people pretty quickly through process.
Post edited by JAGMINOR on

Replies to: Unifieds Passing

• prodesseprodesse Registered User Posts: 1,308 Senior Member
    My son was in NYC and wasn't passed. Don't know if others were, but I don't think so, because there were already three areas for acting, singing, and dancing. (He was just there for acting.)
  • monkey13monkey13 Registered User Posts: 1,029 Senior Member
    At NYC Unifieds, there were kids who were passed onto the next rooms. Not very many, but it did happen. Same at Chicago (from what we were told by a parent whose kid did get passed on).
  • dreambelle13dreambelle13 Registered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
    People do get accepted who don't get passed on though, happens more if you meet with Barbara though.
  • LondreamLondream Registered User Posts: 136 Junior Member
    At L.A. Unifieds in my group of 15 auditioners, 2boys were passed and I was the only girl. I started with Barbara and she passed me to Kaf the movement teacher they work as a team if they like someone they pass you to the other to redo your material or work with you or sing.
  • EwanesEwanes Registered User Posts: 103 Junior Member
    It may be good, but at my dk's audition, one of the last sessions at Unifieds, the faculty announced that it did not make any difference if you were passed on or not to both parents and students before the auditions started. I believe they mentioned something about wanting to dispel rumors about this. It was quite a large group of auditioners. So I wouldn't dwell on it too much. I know that a couple of kids were asked to sing for the acting faculty during the acting audition. So, passed or not passed, asked to sing or not, best not to second guess, Just be happy that you did your best and move on...:)
  • broadway95broadway95 Registered User Posts: 742 Member
    nicely said Ewanes-it all gets too crazy to second guess. They did say the same thing at their on campus auditions as well. Their process seems to work for them but I do find it odd that different acting and singing people see the kids. This is so subjective and what one auditor likes the other might not. I would think it would make it hard to come together as faculty to pick your class without seeing the same people. Since they get so many to audition I understand in order to see everyone -the dance person might not see the acting and acting may not see vocals but still it does seem that it would be harder that way.
  • CallieneCalliene Registered User Posts: 856 Member
    The RUMOR going around was that if you see Barbara and you don't get passed on, you may very well still be in the running, but if you see Kaf and don't get passed to Barbara, you're done, because Barbara wants to see everyone who will be admitted. Again this is RUMOR so if anyone can come on here and say they got admitted without seeing Barbara, I'm sure it would be welcomed.
  • DramamamaSDDramamamaSD Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    My D was seen at both rooms for acting and was asked to sing. Not sure if that is a good thing. All one can do is their best and hope you end up where you are suppose to.
  • vivalaben2012vivalaben2012 Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    Would you say this is more true for straight acting or musical theater or for both?
  • DramamamaSDDramamamaSD Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    I really do not know what any of it means. Have read a lot about this process for both though. Does not mean that it is true.
  • BRC127BRC127 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    I auditioned at NYC Unifieds for Musical Theatre. I was passed from Kaf to Barbara, but I wasn't asked to sing for either of them. I only sang with Gary.

I couldn't get a clear feel for who was passed between or who had just started with Barbara because people moved in and out of different groups based on when they individually had completed one of the three (acting, singing, dancing) processes of the audition.
  • theatremommatheatremomma Registered User Posts: 500 Member
    Barbara is the acting department. Gary is music.
  • BRC127BRC127 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    Right..should have stated that.
  • prodesseprodesse Registered User Posts: 1,308 Senior Member
    My son auditioned only for Kaf but sang for her too (this was for acting, though it was during the MT time period).
  • theatermom2013theatermom2013 Registered User Posts: 202 Junior Member
    Is this "passing" thing for MT or straight acting? The other thing CMU does is consider it's MTs for BFA acting and vice versa. Which is why someone would be asked to sing who is auditioning for BFA acting and also may be why someone would be "passed" to perform their monologues for another faculty if they are auditioning for MT. Hmmmm. We could speculate until the cows come home and no one will solve the mystery.

I've heard stories of kids that get in when they had what they felt was an "ordinary" audition and kids that didn't get in when they were passed from faculty to faculty member, asked to improv, worked with on their monologues and over all given a lot of extra attention. So I don't think any of it means anything. I'd sure like to know what goes on in their minds when they make these decisions!
This discussion has been closed.