right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

Rank vs. GPA

TonyStark12TonyStark12 6 replies2 threads New Member
edited March 26 in College Admissions
If my weighted GPA is a 4.33/4.0, then would it negatively impact my chances for MIT if I am #10 ranked in my school instead of top 3? (assuming if I have sufficient SAT & AP scores and extracurriculars)
edited March 26
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Rank vs. GPA

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 9219 replies93 threads Senior Member
    I’m not sure what you are asking. Weighted gpa is meaningless because every school does their grading/weights differently. What’s the highest gpa available at your school? What’s your unweighted gpa?

Also #10 out of how many? Decile may be more useful.

In any case, no matter if you were #1 in your class, MIT is a reach for every student. Treat it as such.
    · Reply · Share
  • TonyStark12TonyStark12 6 replies2 threads New Member
    I’m not sure what you are asking. Weighted gpa is meaningless because every school does their grading/weights differently. What’s the highest gpa available at your school? What’s your unweighted gpa?

Also #10 out of how many? Decile may be more useful.

In any case, no matter if you were #1 in your class, MIT is a reach for every student. Treat it as such.

My unweighted percentage GPA is currently a 93.3. My school doesn't give us our GPAs on the 4.0 scale but according to the guidance counselor's conversion table, that would mean my unweighted GPA is a 4.0/4.0. I'm currently a junior, so I'm estimating my rank to be around #10.

#10 out of around 600.

Would MIT have equal consideration for #1 and #10 if my unweighted GPA is a 4.0?
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 7470 replies76 threads Senior Member
    UW >> WGPA.

Go learn about what MIT really values- their admissions blog have a *lot* of good information in them. Here's an oldie but a goodie (& still relevant) to get you started:

https://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/applying_sideways/
    · Reply · Share
  • TonyStark12TonyStark12 6 replies2 threads New Member
    UW >> WGPA.

Go learn about what MIT really values- their admissions blog have a *lot* of good information in them. Here's an oldie but a goodie (& still relevant) to get you started:

https://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/applying_sideways/

Sounds good, thank you so much! Also, I'm guessing UW means university weighted?
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 9219 replies93 threads Senior Member
    UW = Unweighted.

Your school's grading scale will go with your college applications so you don't need to worry about converting. The universities will make their own determination about your grades/transcripts.

A 93.3 at my D's school would have been an A-/3.7.

Don't worry about what you can't change. Worry about making the total application the best it can be, and finding match and safety schools.
    · Reply · Share