Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Article about college search for LGBTQ

ninakatarinaninakatarina Registered User Posts: 1,427 Senior Member
https://www.teenvogue.com/story/how-to-find-the-right-college-lgbtq-students

A little late for us since my kid's college list is set, but for any of you still looking this article has some good stuff to think about. I will second their recommendation of checking the Campus Pride index and their List of Shame, those are great resources. I also appreciate that they pointed out that just because a college has strong LGB resources they may not be very advanced on the TQ portion of the acronym.

Replies to: Article about college search for LGBTQ

• PetraMCPetraMC Registered User Posts: 486 Member
    Good article, thanks for sharing. A few other ways to evaluate a school's social climate would be to check out the LGBTQ center, assuming they have one. Is it a vibrant place with social activities going on, or is it primarily there to provide resources about dealing with discrimination? Is it crammed into an office that is sharing space with the office of diversity and international students (we found this at two schools. Those student populations can have very different needs although I'm sure there is overlap.) Does their application ask about how you identify?

Also, with a bit of googling, message boards and/or Facebook pages can provide some insight.
  • allhailcorporateallhailcorporate Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    I went to an INCREDIBLY LGBTQ friendly college - New College of Florida - and it is not very highly ranked on Campus Pride index nor does it have a really flourishing LGBTQ center. That's because about 35-40% of the campus identifies as being part of the LGBTQ spectrum in some way, there's not a real "need" for a special group or resources to be devoted to that because that's already a huge portion of the student body, it's very normalized. Just a thought.