Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

College Confidential Relaunch

Replies to: College Confidential Relaunch

• doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,107 Senior Member
    Agree that on the header, the logo mortarboard should be enlarged and to the left. Then the Forums/Schools/Articles font could be enlarged as well. The way it is now doesn't maximize the use the space visually, IMO.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 8,263 Senior Member
    The drop down menu when you click on forums is gone. @CCadmin_Sorin , this is annoying because the forums that were most popular are no longer as easy to access and now you have to look through all forums before getting to the one you want. Was this a deliberate move to get people to look at other forums, rather than just going to the top ones?

In total honesty, I think the new color scheme is ugly. Blue and orange are the worst combination, and it is not distinctive. I think all the fonts at the top are too small. I don't find it easy to see what you are looking for. The font itself is ok. Collge Confidential, at the top right for example, is much too small. Not digging the mortarboard avatar, only because I think the tassel is too wide and looks like it's in the wrong place.

I do appreciate your post though, because it explains why the redesign was done. I think you should bring back the drop down menu on forums, for sure.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 55,636 Senior Member
    edited May 1
    Add one more vote for the “make the fonts at the top bigger”. Too hard to see and too hard to touch on a touchscreen like ipad.

The colors look to me to be blue and gold, but as for blue and orange.... go gators!!!
  • buuzn03buuzn03 Registered User Posts: 1,285 Senior Member
    Is there a school search and save option for BS, too? If so, I have totally missed it. If not, is it possible to create one?
  • Winky1Winky1 Registered User Posts: 1,364 Senior Member
    Thanks, CC, for updating and trying to improve things overall for us!
  • HMom16HMom16 Registered User Posts: 605 Member
    The "Find Your Best Fit" thingy doesn't make sense - the filter should be information about the student and his/her preferences. For example, student should click where their SAT/ACT/GPA falls and then allow selection of whether those scores are in the median, top 25%, etc. This would help students find their reaches and likelies. Also, do unweighted GPAs > 4 actually exist?
  • me29034me29034 Registered User Posts: 1,573 Senior Member
    I usually view CC on an iPad. The only real differences I see are the huge banner at the top that takes up almost half my screen, and the new avatars. Everything else looks exactly the same. I feel like I must be missing something.
  • STEM2017STEM2017 Registered User Posts: 3,321 Senior Member
    Who moved my cheese?
  • homerdoghomerdog Registered User Posts: 3,101 Senior Member
    The font on the notifications is so small. And the having a white number inside a red box makes it hard to read as well.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 8,263 Senior Member
    Yes, @homerdog ! I didn't even know there was still a number inside the red box.
  • homerdoghomerdog Registered User Posts: 3,101 Senior Member
    Kind of marketing 101. You don't use white font inside of another color. It's way too hard to read.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 37,480 Super Moderator
    And the having a white number inside a red box makes it hard to read as well.
    It's been white within red for as long as been on the site, but I agree the size makes it harder to see.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 29,353 Senior Member
    edited May 1
    And I find the dark blue of the mortarboard (and sharp edges, and seemingly floating, all very high contrast,) distracting. I'd bet you folks roll your eyes at this sort of comment. But a softer blue would be easier. And an easy fix.

Just look at this page. On many pages, lots of posters will have that defsilt.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 22,629 Forum Champion
    On my computer there is just a ton of empty/white space on the left under the CC logo, it looks fine on my phone though.
  • labegglabegg Registered User Posts: 2,540 Senior Member
    The header has way too much white space and the font is too small. Your Logo should be much bigger if it is going to be centered. Personally thing it should be to the left. The mortorboard default avatar is visually distracting and feels like a a black hole...(alright a blue hole). But the font size is the biggest issue IMO...way too small for my old lady eyes.