right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

How COVID-19 Will Affect The 2020 College Admissions Cycle

Dave_BerryDave_Berry CC Admissions Expert 511 replies3005 threads CC Admissions Expert
edited March 18 in College Admissions
"For students who have already applied to university and are eagerly awaiting their admissions responses, there is a growing worry that the coronavirus will affect admissions decisions. Princeton attempted to reassure students that this would not be the case last Tuesday, tweeting: “Please note: The coronavirus outbreak and its effects have no impact on how we evaluate applicants to the University. Every application will receive our full consideration.”

But the worry remains that universities will see a decrease in international student enrollment as a result of the coronavirus. For the large number of universities who depend on their high number of international students to pay full tuition, this could have serious economic ramifications in the coming semesters. One third of all international students studying in the U.S. are from China, and the school and test cancellations as a result of the virus will no doubt disrupt the admissions cycle." ...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherrim/2020/03/13/how-covid-19-will-affect-the-2020-college-admissions-cycle/#3378bf6515ce
edited March 18
164 replies
Post edited by CCadmin_Sorin on
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How COVID-19 Will Affect The 2020 College Admissions Cycle

• ProverbialHorseProverbialHorse 14 replies0 threads New Member
    I had one acting MFA callback cancelled due to Covid-19, so I absolutely know that it's impacting my admissions experience.
    · Reply · Share
  • WorriedKnightWorriedKnight 19 replies2 threads Junior Member
    We made it in just under the wire to do our last college visits (visits Tues and Weds, schools shut down Friday) and I am breathing a huge sigh of relief. The visits were game changers and my daughter's decision process would have been super hard otherwise. We got lucky.
    · Reply · Share
  • StPaulDadStPaulDad 578 replies4 threads Member
    Easy To Visit might become a significant selection criteria for students. If I can hit three schools in one metro area or drive a couple hours out to the middle of nowhere to see one other, well I have a good idea who isn't getting a visit.
    · Reply · Share
  • RevSuzRevSuz 4 replies0 threads New Member
    One of my son's colleges where he was accepted has extended the commitment deadline to June 1. Has anyone else experienced this change? Sure would make life a bit easier to make decisions a little later.
    · Reply · Share
  • Luckyjade2024Luckyjade2024 640 replies9 threads Member
    RevSuz wrote: »
    One of my son's colleges where he was accepted has extended the commitment deadline to June 1. Has anyone else experienced this change? Sure would make life a bit easier to make decisions a little later.

There is a thread for deadline changes...maybe we can all post there?
    · Reply · Share
  • RevSuzRevSuz 4 replies0 threads New Member
    Found it. Thank you.
    · Reply · Share
  • SJ2727SJ2727 2599 replies10 threads Senior Member
    Looks like the one overwhelming conclusion is more financial pressure on colleges, with the number of students with genuine need rising even before you take fewer full pay internationals into account. For those of you who’ve been around here a while, there was probably a similar type of outcome following the global financial crisis a little over a decade ago? How did that end up playing out in practice? Obviously it partly depends on college endowments. Do we get more need blind colleges moving to need aware?
    · Reply · Share
  • Luckyjade2024Luckyjade2024 640 replies9 threads Member
    if internationals cannot come this would mean less $$$ for colleges. International students full pay and bring in 41 billion/year!!! That's staggering,

colleges with smaller endowments will be hurt and probably move to need aware or cut merit.

also, will this eventually bring down the price of tuition with less people being able to full pay?
    · Reply · Share
  • SJ2727SJ2727 2599 replies10 threads Senior Member
    I guess the other aspect is that it adds to the demographic impact of peaked high school graduates, to lead to fewer people applying (international) or applying to as many schools as before, helping reduce some of the crazy competitiveness seen in recent years,
    · Reply · Share
  • hs2020dadhs2020dad 218 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Possibilities discussed so far: Yield going down; fewer international students; less $$$ with colleges. All these seem longer term effects - wondering if these things would actually affect the current 2020 admission cycle ?

Shorter term, during 2020 admission cycle - yes yield may be slightly lower with a few more students taken off of wait lists - but imo most other things remain same. The real changes could be for 2021 cycle, if this thing continues into the fall (hopefully that is not the case). The economic impacts on the univ and to even individuals may not be apparent until after all the univ decisions/commitments are made.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 82706 replies738 threads Senior Member
    SJ2727 wrote: »
    For those of you who’ve been around here a while, there was probably a similar type of outcome following the global financial crisis a little over a decade ago? How did that end up playing out in practice? Obviously it partly depends on college endowments. Do we get more need blind colleges moving to need aware?

Public universities will raise tuition, as they generally do during economic downturns when state subsidies fall due to state tax revenues falling.
    · Reply · Share
  • PetraMCPetraMC 944 replies7 threads Member
    I've heard that there will be much more reliance on the waitlists this year. But I'm also hearing that students just want to get future plans set and might not be as willing to wait it out if they have an acceptance somewhere. Anecdotal, of course.
    · Reply · Share
  • kanflykanfly 123 replies5 threads Junior Member
    There is a huge ripple effect. What will happen to class of 21 if they can't take the ACT/SAT or only take it once in the Fall? If they can't superscore, will the average score decrease? I think the schools will heavily rely on ED1 and ED2 to help with yield and bring in more full pay with so much uncertainty. We may see a reduction in merit scholarships if endowments significantly decrease.
    · Reply · Share
  • evergreen5evergreen5 1919 replies35 threads Senior Member
    ^If the virus wanes enough in the near term, there will be plenty of late summer and fall test dates. I don't think the number of times taking the test is important; according to Compass Prep, most will score higher the later they take the test. So while missing spring testing opportunities is stressful, I don't think there will ultimately be a significant effect.

What might be affected are subject tests, with spring being the big time to take those. I suspect that the numbers of colleges still recommending subject tests, which have already dwindled, might drop off precipitously over this summer.
    · Reply · Share