Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

How to utilize your two years in 11 and 12?

Replies to: How to utilize your two years in 11 and 12?

• confidential2015confidential2015 Registered User Posts: 1,396 Senior Member
    That was not a huge mistake!! We are changing from Nepalese to Nepali and many people still call us Nepalese which is fine but I just wanted to let you know the new change.
  • 082349082349 Registered User Posts: 2,228 Senior Member
    Oh I thought it was. Some people I know can get very annoyed when I make these kinds of mistakes.
    We are changing from Nepalese to Nepali
    Why so?
    Well..we used to be called Nepalese at first but we are people of Nepal so calling Nepali seems to be easier in practice.
  • thestroxthestrox Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Hey guys I am confused about Guidance Counselor. Is GC our relatives or someone who can help us in university preparation or they are someone we will hire?
    ^^GC is a person hired by your school to help you with your university application process.
    Hey guys do everyone takes 1 year gap after 12 ? Also I am confused about early decision and early action. Can anyone help me.
  • trinitiantrinitian Registered User Posts: 379 Member
    NO, its not necessary to take a 1 year gap after 12 to apply and attend US universities. U can apply when u're in class 12 with ur class 10 and 11/AS grades along with internal exam marks. That way college will accept ur scores and consider u as an applicant. Infact, thats what students in US do. They apply to colleges in their senior year and by the time they graduate, most of them are fixed about which college to join in the coming fall.

Now talking about Early applications, there are two-three (as far as i know) types of early applications. They are:
    1) Early Decision
    2) Early Action
    3) Restricted Early Action

1) Early Decision - It is an early application round, earlier than Regular Decision. Its is a binding agreement in which u state that if the college accepts u and ur financial need is met then u shall surely attend that college. It is a binding agreement and once accepted, u are bound to attend that college. U can apply only one ED. It is very competitive (that's what most college prep books, articles and college website say)

2)Early Action - Its an early application round too, but in this case, the application agreement is non restrictive. U can apply as many Early Actions as desired.

3) Restricted Early Action- I personally dont know about restricted early action. Ask confidential2015 or sarbaraj101 about this. They might help you.

Early application rounds are in two phase, those are I and II. U may apply as convenient to u. And yes, one more thing, if u are rejected in Early Decision I, u may apply Early Decision II, if u are able to meet the deadlines.
    Although, Early Decisions are mainly for competitive students (most colleges say that), personally I've seen many students (low-high scores in high school and SATs) applying from Nepal. Its like a shot. U're accepted, u're in; u're rejected, u have other chances.
    And many people apply one ED, almost all EA (within their college shortlist) and other RDs.
    Thanks trinitian. I am asking about Nepal. Do many take 1 year gap in Nepal? and why?
    There is no official data showing the number of Nepali students who take gap year.
    ^ I was just asking if many of ur frends and u or other people u know had taken gap or not. And is it benificial to take year gap?
    i was just giving u an example of US students. Like confidential2015 said, there's no survey/data to show that how many students take gap after 12. Many do that but not all. One of our cc user (sixstringrocker) applied to Lafayette in grade 12, got accepted and then went directly after finishing 12 without any gap, on the other hand, I am still here in Nepal though i've already finished my class 12.It depends on u. If u are well prepared for the SAT, SATIIs, TOEFL, and all application processing in ur senior year then ofcourse u can apply and attend a college without any gap.

WHY: i guess many students focus towards their academics in their high school. Then, after finishing the high school, they focus on the standardized testings. but that all depends on one's psyche.
    WHY? Because no one will tell you about application process in detail in Nepal.
    I am sorry for those if they dont like my post. Ya i know that no one tells u in detail about application process in Nepal. Because of that only I am in CC to ask to my seniors not to those who are in my level. Anyways thanks to all of u for giving valuable information.
    Most A Level graduates start to teach in schools/tuition centers after they get their results.
    ^^thestrox: if u dont wanna lose ur 1 year, like me (i wont point any other cc user) gather as much information as possible from seniors, cc users and USEF and apply in ur senior year.Should u require any other information about where to start and all.... feel free to ask here.Gud luck!
This discussion has been closed.