Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What should I do?

Replies to: What should I do?

• MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 40,754 Senior Member
    If you can't pay fully (with verified proofs and a statement from your parents' bank) you will not receive a visa.
    If you need financial aid, you need to apply for it, but it reduces your odds considerably and many universities simply don't offer it.
  • AbuBakar24AbuBakar24 Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    Hey guys.. new update~~
    My new SAT is 1630 superscore is 1680. So did I increase my chance in UWa??
    What else school should I apply for bioengineering or chmical engineering???
    Can you give us a breakdown of your scores? Have you taken the SAT subjects (like Math2 etc)? How much can your family contribute (pay for a less-expensive public, a more expensive public or a private, pay up to $10,00..?)
    620 math 570 reading 460 writing
    620 for both math2 and physics
    780 for chinese
    With these scores, it's highly unlikely you can get financial aid.
    I was hoping for 720 in math and the rest in CR/W which would be excused to a certain extent due to your being international.
    But the math and SAT2 scores are going to be a problem for engineering
    Merit aid = at directionals, perhaps?
    Your Math2 and Physics will both be considered a bit low for the
    big tech schools. I'm not sure it's in your best interest to
    apply to a college of engineering, although you can apply to
    2-3 just to see.
    How much can your parents pay?
    what engineering school can i apply???
    i have no idea... they hope that I can get in any college in top 100 or 150... Do i have a chance in cu boulder
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 29,132 Senior Member
    If you can pay the full cost of your education, there are plenty of lower-tier institutions that will be happy to admit you provided you are willing to enroll in the remedial ESL classes that your CR and WR scores indicate you need.

Find out what your parents are willing to pay each year, subtract $12,000 from that figure for transportation, books, living expenses, etc. and run the college-matching search engines to identify places where your tuition and fees will cost no more than the difference. For example, if your family can pay $30,000 each year, you can search for engineering programs where the tuition and fees are $18,000 or less.
    If you have no idea how much money your parents can pay, that's the first step.
    With your stats, you can get into a top 100-150 college if they're willing to pay full costs.
    If not, you can get into a lower-tier college and hope for some kind of scholarship for your stats, but you'd likely attend a 4th tier university, or have a gap year so that you can try again.
    oh hi. there are plenty of lower-tier institutions... Hmmm which are???
    4th tier?? which are...
    We need to know how much your parents can pay. Please have that discussion and come back to let us know.
    You can find out the universities yourself fairly easily:
    type "USNWR Liberal arts colleges" in your browser and start at #100 or so; type USNWR regional universities" and start at #20 or so, focusing on universities within your price range; you can even add "USNWR national universities" starting at rank 80 or so and "regional colleges", any ranking.
    This should give you a list of 100 schools or so. Select about 4-5 in each list and come back to post here (AFTER you tell us how much your parents can afford to pay).
    30-36k per year... hmmm my family is not rich after all...
    30-36k per year is A LOT and will help you get into A LOT of schools. Obviously, not Michigan, but you never had a shot in the first place (you knew that, right?) :p

Check out the schools suggested above and add Colleges that change lives (ctcl.org).
    :( No michigan?? haha... its okay~ Can I apply for michigan state??
    Im applying
    1. NYU-Poly (dream school)
    2. UWashington
    3. U of Illinois (reach school)
    4. Texas at Austin
    5. Ohio state U
    6. Penn state
    7. Stevens Institute of Technology
    8. University of Maryland College Park
    9. Purdue University
    10. Colorado Boulder (safety school)