Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Gap year thread!

Replies to: Gap year thread!

• Anduar3Anduar3 Registered User Posts: 300 Member
    Yea, I've completed avoided Facebook so as not to see any dorm photos or pictures from any frat parties. It's hard because you want to be happy for your friends but at the same time you look at your life and can't help but be jealous.

Lol let's not talk about age because I'm turning 21. Luckily I look like I'm 18 when I shave my beard haha
  • viphanviphan Registered User Posts: 1,270 Senior Member
    Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and happy holidays!
  • 1sparkle21sparkle2 Registered User Posts: 833 Member
    edited December 2014
    I'm 19 now and will be 20 for most of my freshman year but I look really young. I got handed the 12 and under kids menu the other day (Applebees. Sigh). Plus, I really don't think people care. It's just one year and one year matters less and less as you get older.

I met up with a girl who's interested in being my roommate next year. She's really nice and I'm super excited! :) At the beginning of this year I was super jealous of my friends at college too but once you have a class of your own it feels so much better. Merry Christmas everyone!
  • Futureplease37Futureplease37 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    So I'm a senior right now in highschool, but I've been seriously considering a gap year. My plan would be to teach English in China for 6 months through a teachaway organization. Then I would travel (via trains, hostels, couch surfing, backpacking, planes, ect.) to London in a round about way for the next 6. I've been saving up and gathering gear. However, I know that in order to fund my college education (i'll be applying before I leave) that I'll need a considerable amount of scholarships. I was going to apply for a ton of little ones, but I'm pretty sure if I was granted any I would loose them if I took a gap year. What should I do?
    @Futureplease37‌ It would depend on every scholarship granting organizations - some may defer your scholarship for a certain period of time, or some may require you to use it the immediate academic year. Regardless, it is important that your source of scholarship is mainly from the institution you will be attending after the gap year.

I don't know your stats or profile, but establishing the college AND the source of tuition are of paramount importance. Your plans for the gap year sounds cool! Good luck in your future endeavors :D
  • Futureplease37Futureplease37 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    @viphan‌ Thanks! I definitely will take into account the amount of aid given by the university and their overall cost of tuition. I was just hoping to cover what they don't provide through independent scholarships (because loans and debt is nasty business). I will look for some scholarships that allow deferment.
  • LAMunivLAMuniv Registered User Posts: 1,504 Senior Member
    Woo, so close to it being the end of application season! Best of luck on your apps and happy new year, everyone!
    @LAMuniv‌ I sent all my applications in as of yesterday! Time to wait... :((
  • dancingwriterdancingwriter Registered User Posts: 443 Member
    @LAMuniv‌ @viphan‌ I sent all of mine as well. About a week ago I think. Now all there's left to do is wait... GOOD LUCK GUYS!!!
    Ok so I panicked after the EA/ED rounds and sent off a bunch of apps :/ lol, I'm almost through , just have Oberlin to finish, but as it stands here's my list: Tufts (ED II), Middlebury, Northwestern, Wesleyan, JHU, UPenn, Kenyon and Cornell...plus my deferred schools from EA.

Tis the season to be stressed is the saying in my apartment. Good luck guys, round 2 Leggo!!

• dancingwriterdancingwriter Registered User Posts: 443 Member
    I was accepted to one of my top choices today -- Rhodes College! I'm super excited, but what made me literally squeal was that they mentioned what I'm doing in my gap year in my acceptance letter. Gap yearers rock! :P
    How's everyone faring on the waiting game, or did you get accepted to your dream school yet?
    edited February 2015
    Nope still dreaming here, but my alarm clock is set to march 31st, the dreaded ivy day.

Haven't really had much communication from any of my schools really, which makes waiting even more nerve-wracking. How about you @viphan‌?
    @Anduar3‌ I'm still waiting on Princeton, my next goal after Columbia. But I got a substantial amount of scholarship (which could ultimately amount to a full-ride) at UMich. So my worries are gone -- Michigan is a great school, and IF the worst case scenario happens (getting rejected to all schools), I get to go to one of the nationally ranked school especially in engineering for (almost) free.

Happy either way.

Did Brown send any likely letters for the RD yet?
    edited February 2015
    @viphan‌ I don't even know if they did and I'm trying to not focus on likely letters, since only a small percent in an already small group of accepted students get them.

Congrats on Michigan, I have a friend who graduated from there and is now at Columbia med and can't stop talking about how he misses it there.

I got a decent enough fin aid from Fordham that makes going there possible without drowning in debt, but I'm still keeping hope alive for my other schools.

I just want this to be over with you know :(
This discussion has been closed.