right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Gap year thread!

Replies to: Gap year thread!

• Anduar3Anduar3 299 replies1 threads Member
    Yea Thursday at 5pm for me too! Ahhh it's so close. Good luck everyone!
    · Reply · Share
  • 1sparkle21sparkle2 806 replies27 threads Member
    Did you all find out?
    · Reply · Share
  • LAMunivLAMuniv 1433 replies71 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    (Deleted accidental repeat)
    edited December 2014
    · Reply · Share
  • dancingwriterdancingwriter 414 replies29 threads Member
    Congrats @LAMuniv! I got rejected by my ED school, but oh well... moving on! Thankfully, I finished all of my RD apps and I sent them, my SAT scores, and my CSS Profile to all my RD schools almost right after I received the decision.
    · Reply · Share
    Congrats @LAMuniv‌!!!! Go out and celebrate!

I got deferred from Brown, and it wasn't really a shock for me. I literally just said "bummer" and moved on lol. Now I need to finish my RD apps
    · Reply · Share
  • viphanviphan 1250 replies20 threads Senior Member
    I got rejected :)) I love Columbia, but it won't be part of my undergraduate experience. It's time to move on.

@LAMuniv‌ Congrats! I hope the gap-year helped ya :D
    @Anduar3‌ Don't worry, you will either end up at Brown or somewhere better!
    @dancingwriter‌ We're in the same boat! Let's move on to RD :)
    · Reply · Share
  • Ghada95Ghada95 33 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Congratulation @lamuniv wish you all the best really ;)

Good luck to everybody haha you will certainly hear good news in the future since you all work hard :D
    · Reply · Share
  • steveb96steveb96 2 replies0 threads New Member
    Gap year this past year as I was diagnosed with leukemia in late May of my senior year. After undergoing a bone marrow transplant I'm now in remission. I wrote a great essay about the experience and am wondering if it's worth applying to UNC Chapel Hill and UVA with a 2040 SAT and a 93.1 GPA. Lemme know what you think and good luck everyone
    · Reply · Share
    @steveb96‌ Hey, I'm sorry for your circumstances, but I'm glad that you are in remission! :) Good luck with the college process.
    · Reply · Share
  • steveb96steveb96 2 replies0 threads New Member
    thanks! do you think it's worth giving UNC and UVA a try? I'm OOS so they're reaches
    · Reply · Share
    Honestly, the scores and GPA is on the lower end, but I think you will be able to write great essays to make up for that gap.
    · Reply · Share
  • dancingwriterdancingwriter 414 replies29 threads Member
    A couple of my friends came back for winter break! I was really excited to meet up with them to catch up, but after talking with them, it just made me so jealous that they're in college and getting to experience all these new things while I'm at home, not really doing anything special (every day's the same). Haha. August had better come quick! I want to go to college already! Are any of you feeling this way? Oh, and on top of it all, I'm worried about being the oldest in my class. I'll be 20 for the majority of my freshman year...
    · Reply · Share
    @dancingwriter‌ likewise! But August will come quick... I still have the end of March to overcome. :))
    · Reply · Share
    Yea, I've completed avoided Facebook so as not to see any dorm photos or pictures from any frat parties. It's hard because you want to be happy for your friends but at the same time you look at your life and can't help but be jealous.

Lol let's not talk about age because I'm turning 21. Luckily I look like I'm 18 when I shave my beard haha
    · Reply · Share
    Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and happy holidays!
    · Reply · Share
  • 1sparkle21sparkle2 806 replies27 threads Member
    edited December 2014
    I'm 19 now and will be 20 for most of my freshman year but I look really young. I got handed the 12 and under kids menu the other day (Applebees. Sigh). Plus, I really don't think people care. It's just one year and one year matters less and less as you get older.

I met up with a girl who's interested in being my roommate next year. She's really nice and I'm super excited! :) At the beginning of this year I was super jealous of my friends at college too but once you have a class of your own it feels so much better. Merry Christmas everyone!
    edited December 2014
    · Reply · Share
  • Futureplease37Futureplease37 11 replies7 threads New Member
    So I'm a senior right now in highschool, but I've been seriously considering a gap year. My plan would be to teach English in China for 6 months through a teachaway organization. Then I would travel (via trains, hostels, couch surfing, backpacking, planes, ect.) to London in a round about way for the next 6. I've been saving up and gathering gear. However, I know that in order to fund my college education (i'll be applying before I leave) that I'll need a considerable amount of scholarships. I was going to apply for a ton of little ones, but I'm pretty sure if I was granted any I would loose them if I took a gap year. What should I do?
    · Reply · Share
    @Futureplease37‌ It would depend on every scholarship granting organizations - some may defer your scholarship for a certain period of time, or some may require you to use it the immediate academic year. Regardless, it is important that your source of scholarship is mainly from the institution you will be attending after the gap year.

I don't know your stats or profile, but establishing the college AND the source of tuition are of paramount importance. Your plans for the gap year sounds cool! Good luck in your future endeavors :D
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity