Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Deerfield Academy: In today's Boston Globe

124»

Replies to: Deerfield Academy: In today's Boston Globe

• AltrasAltras Registered User Posts: 359 Member
    @CavsFan2003 Thank you for sharing. We parents are often view the world through lenses shaped by our own experiences over decades past. You and others your age have the benefit of a fresh, untainted view. But in all cases, our "view" is our perception and we all benefit from checking those perceptions against the best objective evidence that we have at the time (i.e. the closest thing to reality).

A search for the rates of discipline by race, gender, etc. reveals that there are much higher (disproportionate) rates of suspension and expulsion among boys, African Americans, Native Americans and students with disabilities. The discussion in those sources is interesting, but I found no clear causal relationship(s). Are the students on the opposite side (whites, girls, asians, etc) protected? Or are there unfair and severe punishments being handed out to the groups effected? And if so, why and by whom (i.e. are they rooted in biases)? I don't know and can't find the answers at this time, but I don't feel the need to fill in the gaps with perceptions.

BTW - there is fantastic reading on the flaws of our perceptions and how they differ from reality in books like "Predictably Irrational" and "Thinking Fast and Slow", written by behavioral economists, but relevant to all facets of life.
  • Golfgr8Golfgr8 Registered User Posts: 847 Member
    The faculty member involved in this case, reported by the Boston Globe, was a swim coach as well as a teacher. I am hoping that this case will bring to light many discrepancies and/or inconsistencies in private school athletics. The Women’s Sports Foundation in 2016 published a paper on the need for gender neutral policies for coaching compensation, contracts, evaluation and certification. There are inconsistencies across states, as well, for certification or licensure. At some schools and colleges (I will not state here but you can look it up) male coaches for the same sport are given multi-year contracts, while the women are not. I am not talking about money (that is another issue), just contracts for job security. At some schools that I do know, there are trainers available for the boys during practice and games but not available for the girls teams. There may also be a “tiered program” of athletics at schools, with inequities of compensation or support found within each tier. Nope, I do not expect the golf team to have the same resources as football! It is an interesting and tangled way that coaches are employed, compensated, and evaluated at the BS level....also multiple roles fulfilled by coaches at boarding schools ( eg dorm parent, teacher, advisor, AO, college counselor)...tough situation that I would not want to be in and I respect the dedication and hard work of BS coaches. All I am hoping is that maybe this lawsuit will lead to much needed reforms in private high school athletics...or at the very least, get us talking about the issue.

Happy New Year and best wishes for you all in 2019! =D>
  • dogsmama1997dogsmama1997 Registered User Posts: 380 Member
    I have noticed a big discrepancy in the experience of coaches for boys and girls at the schools we have looked at: boys coach played the sport D1, girls coach had kids who went to the school. Slightly annoying as the parent of an athlete!
  • CaliMexCaliMex Registered User Posts: 1,477 Senior Member
    The incoming head of school spent most of his career at St Andrew’s School in DE, a school with a strong culture that emphasizes kindness, inclusion, and social responsibility...
  • Happytimes2001Happytimes2001 Registered User Posts: 1,134 Senior Member
    Can be a good idea to find another parent whose same sex child plays the same sport as your child. I don't think this would be an unreasonable request once accepted. That parent might be able to answer questions concerning what the coach is REALLY like and what support/expectations the kids are under. Could also be a friend of a friend type thing if you know other families at the school. I looked the coach in the eye and spoke to them. I felt very comfortable with this person based on some of the things the coach asked. My kid was deciding between two schools and the coach said some things which resonated with my kid ( and our family). The coach also didn't disparage the other school ( bonus points). Coach turned out to be one of my kids teachers. Was exactly the same in the classroom as on the field. Work hard, be fair, be kind, don't give up, if you are wild successful help others. Yep.
  • bearthebcbearthebc Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I feel it is interesting that the Chairman of the Board of Trustees at the time was one of Harvey Weinstein's lawyers Rodgin Cohen. He retired last year but Deerfield gave him a big award. It should have been for the 28 Deerfield students that broke every school rule (and some plus a sexual assault allegation) in 2015 "swimgate" faced NO disciplinary consequences. Cover up for Deerfield. Coverup for Harvey Weinstein.

H. Rodgin Cohen.
    Chairman of Deerfield's Board of Trustees- retired last year as chairman

The New York Times reports that attorney H. Rodgin Cohen of prestigious New York firm Sullivan and Cromwell, examined Harvey Weinstein’s personnel file and assured the board of The Weinstein Company that it was safe to keep Weinstein on because “there were no unresolved complaints or threats of litigation against him.” The Times also notes, that in that file, Cohen discovered at least one sexual harassment allegation against Weinstein. This allegation was made in 2014 by Emily Nestor, a former employee of Weinstein’s. According to the Times, 
124»