Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• carolinamom2boyscarolinamom2boys Registered User Posts: 7,095 Senior Member
    Congrats to your son @me29034 . I made DS 16 visit schools to make an informed decision.
  • AcersaccharumAcersaccharum Registered User Posts: 242 Junior Member
    @TwinMom2023 D and I went to an Eddie Bauer outlet today and picked out a serious winter parka for about 60% off. She is also headed to upstate NY and since the temp there today was about 6 degrees, I think it’ll do!
  • bjscheelbjscheel Registered User Posts: 441 Member
    We got DD winter boots yesterday. Yeah, we already live in snowy weather, but after she went sledding last week, she decided she should probably graduate from her shiny purple kids boots. I imagine she's had them since at least middle school. Her new Northside boots are quite cozy and should last her another several years!
  • 4kids4us4kids4us Registered User Posts: 529 Member
    S17 and I are headed to upstate NY this weekend for a college visit. I’m planning to check out what all the guys are wearing on their feet and what kind of coats. He does have a Patagonia fleece pullover but doubt it will do the job up there. I’m pretty sure he has snow boots but they are more the kind for wearing while walking around in snow, not for walking to class and wearing inside. Winter clothing will be something I definitely will observe on the students but will ask while there if I can’t tell on my own what appears to be suitable. We aren’t sure yet whether he will be going that far north so not planning on buying anything until we know for sure.l
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,454 Senior Member
    As far as where they store all this winter stuff...my D took everything she owned when she went to college in the northern tundra. She found out that there were a few items she wore all the time and the rest was packed up at the end of the year and never returned to school. 1-2 jackets (extra cold and basic), some jeans and flannel shirts, boots. Daughter tends to wear boots all the time and just 'winter' or rain boots when it was really really cold or raining.

I lived in areas that were pretty cold most of the winter. We didn't spend that much time outdoors so a normal ski jacket worked fine.
  • jagrrenjagrren Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Super yes on the Container Store drawers. My older daughter, a college sophomore, is still using the drawers she kept her Barbies in.
  • TwinMom2023TwinMom2023 Registered User Posts: 431 Member
    @Momof3kidz where is the North Face clearance sale? Twenty-five years ago, we hit an Eddie Bauer warehouse clearance and we still have some of the stuff. It was CRAZY awesome.

And @techmom99 'thermally indifferent' FTW!!!

Noted container store storage. I may need second job to outfit twins for college! :-D
  • 50501005050100 Registered User Posts: 334 Member
    @techmom99 - Thermally indifferent is PERFECT! My S19 is the same. Today it is 6 degrees? He is in joggers and a long sleeve T.
  • momtogkcmomtogkc Registered User Posts: 641 Member
    Oh my gosh - thermally indifferent! =)) That is the best descriptor for my S23!!

I went to college pretty much as upstate as you can get in NY - St. Lawrence. It was a long time ago but as far as boots went we pretty much wore hiking boots most of the time (and if the snow was not deep or the paths were already made across the quad we would wear the lower hiking sneaker type shoes, back then Merrell was the brand everyone loved.) We also had snow boots like a LL Bean duck boot or Sorels that were taller for the real snow days.

As far as clothes when I look back at old pictures it looks like we lived in baggy jeans, giant wool hippy type sweaters and North Face and/or Carhart jackets. I'm guessing it's a little different now!
  • Britmom5Britmom5 Registered User Posts: 389 Member
    @momtogkc Round here, Carhart and Dickies are ‘in’ again
  • momzilla2Dmomzilla2D Registered User Posts: 462 Member
    For high school students in the Boston area, Bean boots are very popular. And for the girls, lots of girls wear LL Bean house slippers to school on non-snowy days, if the dress code allows. LL Bean often has 25% off site wide. Pretty sure everything’s 25% off right now. Due to popularity, I don’t think either the boots or slippers ever go below that.
  • Momof3kidzMomof3kidz Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    @TwinMom2023 we were at the outlet in Virginia Beach but it is my understanding that all the outlet stores held the sale. There is one in PA that we have been to also but not at the time of this sale. They also have online clearance items at times also.
  • PugsleyAddamsPugsleyAddams Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    Unified Schedule Scare! I just realized DS has an 8:00 dance call with one school and a 9:00 a.m. dance call with another. Both are said to last an hour. What to do?