Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

A NFL running playoff thread

Replies to: A NFL running playoff thread

• TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 15,343 Senior Member
    I am so looking forward to watching the New England Patriots Invitational Bowl on February 3rd! :)) :))
  • Time2ShineTime2Shine Registered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    I am so looking forward to watching the New England Patriots Invitational Bowl on February 3rd!

My son is a freshman in college and the Patriots have been in half of all the Super Bowls played since he was born.
  • sushirittosushiritto Registered User Posts: 3,064 Senior Member
    No, it is more like the first possession wins about 54% of the overtime games that do not end in a tie.

I don't consider ties winning.
    edited January 22
    I am so looking forward to watching the New England Patriots Invitational Bowl on February 3rd!

Hey, maybe the Celtics will get an invite this June to the Golden State Warriors Invitational NBA Finals, but probably not though. =))
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 75,486 Senior Member
    edited January 22
    sushiritto wrote:
    I don't consider ties winning.

So out of 87 games that went to overtime from 2010-2017, the results were:

45 first possession won
    37 first possession lost
    5 still tied after overtime

I.e. there was a first possession advantage in current NFL overtime during that time period.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 26,315 Senior Member
    So out of 87 games that went to overtime from 2010-2017, the results were:

45 first possession won...

But to be clear, the team receiving the ball first eventually won the game 45 times out of 87. They did not win it on the first possession by moving the ball straight down the field and scoring a TD, so the other team's offense never got on the field (as happened to KC). The kickoff receiving team only scored a TD on the first possession less than a 20% of the time. Thus, in 80+% of the OT games, both teams touched the ball at least once.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,059 Senior Member
    It is time for the Saints to get over it. They had two chances to win after the call and failed to stop the Rams from tying in regulation and they DID win the coin toss in OT. They didn't score in OT.

Both games went into OT. The coin toss winning team won one, lost one. Seems 50/50 to me.
    The two Saints fans have no standing to sue. That suit will be bounced by tomorrow.
    Ya, I want to sue KC, because it's their field where Jimmy G. tore his ACL.
  • coolweathercoolweather Registered User Posts: 5,919 Senior Member
    Let the Rams and the Saints play again after the Super Bowl.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 26,315 Senior Member
    ^^they should play this weekend!

Or, how about a loser's bracket: KC hosting the 'Aints?
    They should just get over it.

There was a Detroit Tiger pitching a perfect game. On the last out, the first base umpire blew the out and called the runner safe when he was clearly out. Home plate umpire didn't overrule. It was before replay. Guy lost his perfect game.

1972 gold medal basketball game. Ice skating with bad judges. They can't go back and change it all. Game's over.
    The pitcher was Armando Galarraga and the umpire, Jim Joyce. I'm not even a Tigers fan and that one still hurts a lot. :((