right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Many schools have delayed their deadlines for enrollment due to COVID-19. Check out our exclusive directory of extended deadlines we know about right now.
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Learn from Amy Nelson from International Scholarship and Tuition Services and Denise Trusty from Morehead State how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes. Join us tomorrow at 5pm ET. Register and ask your question NOW.

A NFL running playoff thread

Replies to: A NFL running playoff thread

• Time2ShineTime2Shine 215 replies12 threads Junior Member
    The NFL is investigating multiple incidents of a laser being pointed at Tom Brady's face during the Chiefs game.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 6220 replies26 threads Senior Member
    Now ESPN is talking about having a ref in every game in the booth to just review what we see on TV to let the refs know to throw the flag... Sorta what I was saying before.
    · Reply · Share
  • bhs1978bhs1978 676 replies12 threads Member
    I would rather have a no call than a blatant missed call. AKA the roughing the passer call against the Chiefs on Tom Brady which extended the Patriots drive ultimately giving them a score.

There are bad calls and missed calls all throughout a game. Saying that only one specific missed call or bad call was the sole reason is ridiculous.
    · Reply · Share
    I also believe each team should get a possession. They already set the clock for 15 minutes. If the first team with the ball scores then they should kick off and the other team goes. After each team has possession then the sudden death comes in.

The only way both teams should not get possession is if the first team runs down the entire 15 minutes and scores on the last second which is highly unlikely.

Someone above said that gives the advantage to the second team. That's where the coin toss comes into play. If the team who wins the coin toss feels that's an advantage then they can defer to have the ball second. As it stands now the coin toss plays much too important of a role in deciding the outcome of a game.
    · Reply · Share
  • bluebayoubluebayou 27434 replies189 threads Senior Member
    edited January 2019
    AKA the roughing the passer call against the Chiefs on Tom Brady which extended the Patriots drive ultimately giving them a score.

Say what? You mean there is not a league rule that you cannot even touch St. Tom? :D
    edited January 2019
    · Reply · Share
    bluebayou wrote:
    Say what? You mean there is not a league rule that you cannot even touch St. Tom?

Well....he is the greatest quarterback to ever play the game....

That made up for all the pass interference non-calls on Kansas City.
    · Reply · Share
  • ScipioScipio 8480 replies478 threads Senior Member
    "I also believe each team should get a possession. They already set the clock for 15 minutes. If the first team with the ball scores then they should kick off and the other team goes. After each team has possession then the sudden death comes in.".

That is the current rule for NFL playoff games. Currently both teams must have possessed the ball in playoff overtime for the sudden death to kick in. The exception to this is if the first team to possess the ball scores a touchdown. Then the game is over. The purpose of this rule is to prevent crucial playoff games to be decided by a team winning the coin toss, running a couple of plays, and then kicking a field goal. The first team has to at least take all the way to the endzone for sudden death apply before both teams have possessed the ball.
    · Reply · Share
    I believe both teams should possess the ball before sudden death regardless of how they scored, what they scored or if they scored. Both teams should have the chance to use their offense and their defense. The current rule stinks and does give too much power to the coin toss.

In baseball should a team who scores in the top of the tenth automatically win or does the other team get their chance in the bottom of the tenth? I think we all know the answer to that.
    · Reply · Share
  • sushirittosushiritto 4988 replies18 threads Senior Member
    In baseball should a team who scores in the top of the tenth automatically win or does the other team get their chance in the bottom of the tenth? I think we all know the answer to that.

Ya, but the complaint in baseball is that the game goes on too long. Also, in baseball, the pitcher/catcher combo controls most of the game. Football, it takes all 11 men working together, hopefully.

I wanted KC to win, but rules are rules. KC's defense stunk all season. If KC had a good defense, then they could have just stopped them. And didn't someone post that it's essentially a 50/50 proposition, the winner of the coin flip winning the game?
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 81241 replies729 threads Senior Member
    sushiritto wrote:
    And didn't someone post that it's essentially a 50/50 proposition, the winner of the coin flip winning the game?

No, it is more like the first possession wins about 54% of the overtime games that do not end in a tie.
    · Reply · Share
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 15491 replies1042 threads Senior Member
    I am so looking forward to watching the New England Patriots Invitational Bowl on February 3rd! :)) :))
    · Reply · Share
    I am so looking forward to watching the New England Patriots Invitational Bowl on February 3rd!

My son is a freshman in college and the Patriots have been in half of all the Super Bowls played since he was born.
    · Reply · Share
    No, it is more like the first possession wins about 54% of the overtime games that do not end in a tie.

I don't consider ties winning.
    · Reply · Share
    edited January 2019
    I am so looking forward to watching the New England Patriots Invitational Bowl on February 3rd!

Hey, maybe the Celtics will get an invite this June to the Golden State Warriors Invitational NBA Finals, but probably not though. =))
    edited January 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 81241 replies729 threads Senior Member
    edited January 2019
    sushiritto wrote:
    I don't consider ties winning.

So out of 87 games that went to overtime from 2010-2017, the results were:

45 first possession won
    37 first possession lost
    5 still tied after overtime

I.e. there was a first possession advantage in current NFL overtime during that time period.
    edited January 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • bluebayoubluebayou 27434 replies189 threads Senior Member
    So out of 87 games that went to overtime from 2010-2017, the results were:

45 first possession won...

But to be clear, the team receiving the ball first eventually won the game 45 times out of 87. They did not win it on the first possession by moving the ball straight down the field and scoring a TD, so the other team's offense never got on the field (as happened to KC). The kickoff receiving team only scored a TD on the first possession less than a 20% of the time. Thus, in 80+% of the OT games, both teams touched the ball at least once.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 24104 replies19 threads Senior Member
    It is time for the Saints to get over it. They had two chances to win after the call and failed to stop the Rams from tying in regulation and they DID win the coin toss in OT. They didn't score in OT.

Both games went into OT. The coin toss winning team won one, lost one. Seems 50/50 to me.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 24104 replies19 threads Senior Member
    The two Saints fans have no standing to sue. That suit will be bounced by tomorrow.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity