right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Which of these schools is not like the others?

Replies to: Which of these schools is not like the others?

• privatebankerprivatebanker 5016 replies64 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,080 Senior Member
    edited February 26
    I think MoHo is so underrated. I hope she goes there! And vote for best all around campus.

My time in the area (many a weekend with a romantic interest and her friends hanging out and/or studying) always thought it was an awesome place with smart but approachable students. Do they still have horses?
    edited February 26
    · Reply · Share
  • allyphoeallyphoe 2314 replies54 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,368 Senior Member
    MHC is currently my secret favorite. We would all be delighted if she ended up there. Everyone there was just so friendly.

And they do still have horses!
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 5016 replies64 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,080 Senior Member
    edited February 27
    Nice! Glad to hear.

It’s been a while. Like Depeche Mode and The Cure were a thing, long.
    edited February 27
    · Reply · Share
  • ItisatruthItisatruth 269 replies22 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 291 Junior Member
    Also, definitely want to hear what she thinks of Bryn Mawr! Is that a summer visit now?
    · Reply · Share
  • porcupine98porcupine98 1593 replies27 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,620 Senior Member
    Count me in as a fangirl of this thread.
    · Reply · Share
  • elena13elena13 809 replies15 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 824 Member
    Not to add more work for your spreadsheet, but when you said she might be open to coed colleges, I was thinking you should consider Vassar.
    · Reply · Share
  • allyphoeallyphoe 2314 replies54 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,368 Senior Member
    Aww, thanks!

@Itisatruth Probably next fall for Bryn Mawr and Wellesley. She really wants to sit in on classes and do an overnight, which means senior year when classes are in session.

She's applied for a summer program that has historically included a college fair attended by all her schools, so I hope it's uncrowded enough that she can actually chat with the reps. She apparently got a "your application is still incomplete" email from the summer program and followed up with her regular counselor (school piece was what was missing) only to discover that she should have listed her college counselor instead - and that person provided the school piece the same day. A good sign for next year's applications.

@elena13 Vassar has been on the long version of the spreadsheet every time, but never rose up to the top. Ah, well. :)
    · Reply · Share
    And the anticipated several-week wait to hear back from the summer program came back with an acceptance the next day. (This is not a particularly selective summer program, so the acceptance isn't surprising, just the speed. Would that the college application process were so speedy.)
    · Reply · Share
    Summer program involves two college classes; kid said, "I want a residential program that offers classes in these two areas," and this was one of two that did. The first class is the foreign language spoken by everyone in our household except for her. The second one is a medical ethics class that covers eugenics (among other things, but "how did eugenics ever become a thing" is her primary interest). She commented in passing that she didn't think she'd be able to take that kind of ethics class at any of the schools she was applying to, so we pulled out the catalogs.

These cover what she's looking for, but appear sufficiently distinct from the summer program offering that they wouldn't feel like a duplicate:
    Wellesley: Philosophy 249, Medical Ethics (Spring 2019)
    Mount Holyoke: Philosophy 260ME-01, Medical Ethics (Fall 2018)
    Smith: Philosophy 242, Medical Ethics (last offered Fall 2017)

Not the same, but interesting:
    Smith: Philosophy 221, Ethics and Society ("Social justice: that's something I want to think more about")

We were both surprised that Bryn Mawr and Agnes Scott, which both have strong health professions programs, don't have any obvious health-related ethics classes currently offered. Bryn Mawr's Health Studies minor has several likely-looking courses listed, but none that are in the live version of the course guide.
    · Reply · Share
  • aquaptaquapt 1948 replies37 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,985 Senior Member
    I would guess that there must be bioethics offerings at Emory that she could access from Agnes Scott. Is she considering the Public Health major which was developed collaboratively with Emory and allows undergrads to get a head start on MPH coursework? Health ethics can definitely be pursued as a specialty within the public health umbrella - and TBH the public health version of bioethics is often far more grounded in reality than the ivory tower "we just want to discuss illness/disability/etc. as abstract constructs so don't bother us with the messy real-life aspects" approach.

(I have one friend in the bioethics field, who lives with a disability himself, and who challenged a colleague's work on disability by asking whether this colleague had consulted actual people with disabilities as part of his work... and the reaction was a horrified no, because that would ruin his "objectivity" 8-| )
    · Reply · Share
    She is interested in so many things that she's truly undecided! I think the last time she checked boxes for "I might major in this," both Philosophy and Gender Studies got a checkmark, but they weren't the only things on the list. She knows she doesn't want to be a doctor (or a nurse, or a physical therapist, or any other hands-on medical professional). I think Public Health would be a great fit for her at Agnes Scott (and their enormous consortium has lots of opportunities there).
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76469 replies665 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77,134 Senior Member
    allyphoe wrote:
    among other things, but "how did eugenics ever become a thing" is her primary interest

She saw the news about the genetically modified human babies recently? (Modification was to deactivate CCR5, ostensibly for resistance to HIV.)
    · Reply · Share
    I don't know if she heard about that one. The history of forced sterilization in the US is what got her interested initially.
    · Reply · Share
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys 3948 replies27 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,975 Senior Member
    @allyphoe On Bryn Mawr's health-related Ethics offerings -- I didn't look specifically for Ethics, but the course offerings between Bryn Mawr and Haverford are often complementary to avoid duplication so you may find some offerings at Haverford.

· Reply · Share