right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

International students graduated from high school in US and accepted in US Colleges.

Replies to: International students graduated from high school in US and accepted in US Colleges.

• PA student's dadPA student's dad 36 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    @happymomof1, thank you for your post. I also suggested the option of community college for first two years. But my son was upset. May be a gap year and trying for some better options in the next year!
    · Reply · Share
  • PA student's dadPA student's dad 36 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    @PurpleTitan , he wants to study Mechanical / Aerospace. We didn't know about Capitol Technology U.Now the college application cycle is over ( particularly the chance of getting any scholarship). We are hoping that he will get at least one affordable college.His stats are good --Unweighted GPA 3.97, SAT 1550, 3 subject tests with high scores, 8AP and average ECs.
    · Reply · Share
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 12668 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,697 Senior Member
    edited March 13
    Right, a gap year and applying to schools that offer merit scholarships is an option.

Your son has to realize he has to play the hand he is dealt but that he could achieve his goals. BTW, UA-Huntsville has ties to aerospace. I thought their aerospace engineering is strong? However, where would he look to work after graduation? Not being a US citizen, it would be tough for him in the US.
    edited March 13
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 29377 replies169 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 29,546 Senior Member
    What can your son do during a gap year that would make him a more viable college applicant at places your family can afford? Would your family be able to save the equivalent of one year worth of what the colleges have expected you to pay this year so as to have a bit of financial cushion in the next application round?

Take a look at the community colleges in your state. They should have formal transfer agreements with the universities. Some of them might even have dorms so he wouldn't necessarily need to live at home. Check them for merit scholarships. Happykid's community college has a number of different scholarships. She earned one that covered her tuition and fees there for four semesters. Scholarships will probably have an application due date in the spring, but admissions for the fall semester probably do not cut off until the day classes start. Your son has time to think through community college as an option.
    · Reply · Share
  • b@r!um[email protected]!um 10215 replies175 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,390 Senior Member
    I'd be careful with the community college transfer route. There's the danger of aging out of H-4 status before enrolling at the 4-year school and getting stuck with an out-of-state tuition bill.
    Not being a US citizen, it would be tough for him in the US.
    This reminds me. An international classmate from college was trying to get a PhD in aerospace engineering. Most programs told her that they wouldn't be able to fund her because funding came from sources that required US citizenship. She did end up finding a program that she could attend, but even there, she faced restrictions on which projects she could touch as a non-citizen. ITAR and all.
    · Reply · Share
    I think it will be better for him to change to student visa ( F1) after enrolling to any college as he will be able to work on campus. Otherwise, at 21 he will have to change to F1. We will be visiting Upitt in April and I am trying to set up an appointment with the financial aid office to find out any aid or affordable loan they can offer. In the mean time we will be waiting for decisions from all other schools he applied.
    · Reply · Share
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 12668 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,697 Senior Member
    So where does he plan to work after graduation?

If Germany, uni there may make sense.

If Canada, ditto.
    · Reply · Share
    Latest update, he is waitlisted at Georgia Tech, Colby and Casewestern. Rejected by Wash U & Swarthmore College. Received a merit scholarship ($2000 per year for 4 years) from Upitt.
    · Reply · Share
    Update on 3/22/2019.
    Accepted to University of Miami, Florida ( Aerospace engineering) with presidential scholarship ($30K per year for 4 years).

Rejected by Northwestern. Waiting for remaining 9 decisions in the next week!
    · Reply · Share
  • Ravi SRavi S 9 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11 New Member
    My son (H4) graduating from NJ high school got admitted into below schools.
    1. NJIT Honors college (Full ride) 2. Rutgers Honors college (10K merit per year) 3. Northeastern (20K merit per year) 4. Georgia Tech (next year fall)

Wait listed: Brandeis, Rejected: 1. USC 2. U Chicago

Waiting for 5 more decisions in the next week.

What's the best option to change to student visa ? go to India and get stamped or apply online ? Any chances to get rejected if apply in India ?

· Reply · Share
    Also admitted to University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, no merit scholarship information yet
    · Reply · Share
    @Ravi, congratulations --your son has some good options. Hope he will get some better options next week. He can change to student visa by applying I-539 . Stamping from India could be tricky as it may be difficult for him to establish non-immigrant intent (that he will return back to India after his education) at the time of visa interview.
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you. It looks online COS taking longer time , 12 Months to 15.5 Months
    · Reply · Share
    This is so painful, lot of hurdles to overcome , my son did all his schooling (KG to high school) in NJ and this GC backlog killing our kids future.
    · Reply · Share
    Yes, very true and we feel totally helpless.
    · Reply · Share