Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Harvard Class of 2023 RD

1373839404143»

Replies to: Harvard Class of 2023 RD

• NorealnamereyNorealnamerey Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Hi there, I am an international applicant. Got accepted in Harvard, Yale, Amherst and Williams.
    I wanted to to know if any of them would consider providing financial aid to visit those colleges in their respective dates, bulldog for Yale for instance. Was wondering if it would be a wise decision to ask them. I would love to know what previous international applicants did.

Secondly, do we recieve the merchandise (Tshirts) from the colleges as well? And if so, after selecting one or just by being admitted?

Thank you
  • NellieWhoahNellieWhoah Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    @studentathlete18 Thank you, yes I would like more information especially with regards to finance/investment banking career. Currently evaluating offers from Wharton and NYU as well.
  • studentathlete18studentathlete18 Registered User Posts: 237 Junior Member
    @NellieWhoah Harvard has the best undergraduate economics department in the country. Full stop. We have lots of professional organizations that give you experience in the consulting or finance world and great tenured faculty. I will also say here at Harvard it is by no means necessary to participate in purely finance related activities to go into finance. My friend is a senior and history major and is headed to NY next year to work at a venture capital firm. Two other of my friends were president of some of Harvard's largest finance groups and both work at Blackstone. There is unlimited opportunity at Harvard to do a variety of things to put yourself on a path to success.
    @studentathlete18 Thank you for this insight. It's great to get other perspectives from inside Harvard that are current. For IB in general, I'm told all three schools are strong but Wall Street firms look more favorably on Stern and Wharton's undergraduate pre professional finance training for new employees though Harvard has the branding advantage by far.
  • BKSquaredBKSquared Registered User Posts: 1,161 Senior Member
    ^I would not base a decision based on hearsay on finance firms looking more favorably on Stern and Wharton. First, Stern, while a fine program, is not Wharton. Further as a former senior banker and person very much involved with hiring, IB's look for bright, trainable and hard working entry level workers. Pick the school that will give the best 4 year experience based on your intellectual interests.
    @BKSquared Thank you for that feedback. Doing the ultimate due diligence now and figuring how to pay. It's going to be tough decision... the next and final visit is to Cambridge since we visited the others last summer.
    Can't imagine Harvard being a lower net cost than Stern or Wharton. Harvard is also 100% grant for any FA. NYU is in the heart of the Village. Lived there for 7+ years and is an amazing neighborhood, but I think the neighborhood creates a distraction from the college experience. Harvard will not teach you finance, but will give you a broader education, and imo opens more options than being a Wharton grad.
    Very surprisingly for aid thus far, Harvard was more generous followed by Penn and NYU!
    ^Missed a "not" before "being". HYPS generally have the best aid, NYU not so much.
  • studentathlete18studentathlete18 Registered User Posts: 237 Junior Member
    @NellieWhoah I can promise that you won't have a problem getting a Wall Street job after Harvard.
  • TheGuy1TheGuy1 Registered User Posts: 931 Member
    edited April 9
    @studentathlete18 Depends where the student graduates in the Harvard class.

The future isnt that bright for the 'C' or below students at any school, and Harvard aint an exception.

Sometimes its statistically given by some sources that the bottom 50% of the graduating class isnt that well off initially at least.

A 'failure' of this is frowned upon regardless, but on the opposite end, a top of the class (range-ish) at Harvard will definitely/most probably be welcomed with open arms everywhere.

I'd argue that the experience and other achievements in the 4 years matter a lot too, but that is very subjective too hold worth in companies' eyes too, and in general as well. But I still believe that a great experience with achievements matters a lot more for convincing a job-applicants worth
  • isfj2019isfj2019 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Did anyone get in from the Waiting List?