right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

The "Bag A Week" Club

Replies to: The "Bag A Week" Club

• kiddiekiddie 3409 replies216 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The car guy was a complete waste of time - gave me a ridiculous low ball offer and then wanted to negotiate. I sent him packing. Now I need to get rid of the car another way.
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 711 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    Sorry it didn't work out @kiddie Thanks for reporting back.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 4556 replies180 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We had new carptet installed yesterday, and I’m trying really hard to not put so much “stuff” back in our room. I filled a huge Bed Bath and Beyond bag with very nice clothes that I simply don’t need. I don’t plan to work many more years, and I don’t wear suits anymore. As I approach 60 (wow that sounds old), I don’t wear the same things I wore a couple of years ago. I feel like I have to get this bag out of the house before I start pulling things out of it...
    · Reply · Share
  • oregon101oregon101 5507 replies136 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    3 big bags went off today. Bought new throw pillows yesterday and off went the 16 year old ones...(yikes)
    · Reply · Share
  • bajammbajamm 1653 replies19 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Our town doesn't really do a curbside pick up of big, bulky things like some areas do. We do have a credit union that sponsors a big recycling day for these big, bulky items twice a year but we have to haul it there.

Today was the spring time day and they included shredding of up to 3 bank boxes full of stuff. So, we took two boxes of shredding in for them to do for us. (we don't need to get rid of any big bulky things right now, thank goodness)

It feels good to have that out of the laundry room!
    · Reply · Share
    DH has been making great headway through one of our two storage units. Three boxes of books and a dresser to the Goodwill today. Now I need to contact upholsterer and get the remaining loveseat and chairs out of there.
    · Reply · Share
    Having a hard day today, so I took a small tote bag of things to Goodwill. It helped. I'm not sure what that says about me. :smile:
    · Reply · Share
  • bearcatfanbearcatfan 1150 replies12 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Getting multiple loads over several weekends from my college student prior to official move out. I am going through the boxes and bags as they come, doing laundry and putting things away.

Also making a mental note of what I sent that came back unopened. Why did I send her with AA and AAA batteries? Nothing she owns takes those. Also sent her with multiple sizes of safety pins. Again, never used.

After we sit down and go through things, we will declutter that packing list for next year and hopefully take much less.
    · Reply · Share
    A box of books ready to go to new home... when I figure out where that is.
    · Reply · Share
  • collage1collage1 1768 replies72 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'm sure there are a variety of places but our local library accepts books so that's where I send mine.
    · Reply · Share
    @collage1, that’s my 0lan. I’m pretty sure our library does the same thing, and they may make a little money on the books.
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18520 replies324 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited April 28
    My library has two HUGE book sales every year from donations, and they make a fortune.
    edited April 28
    · Reply · Share
  • bajammbajamm 1653 replies19 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @swimcatsmom could you contact a boy and or girl scout troop to help, since they may need volunteer hours? Or a church youth group? They could come for a few hours a day here and there to help carry the heavy stuff and if they drive maybe they could take stuff to the recycle place for you.
    · Reply · Share
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom 15838 replies346 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    It's an idea. The wife of the accounting partner at work keeps offering to come help - she has cleared junk filled houses in the past and says there is nothing she hasn't seen! She is the most kind hearted person.

I guess I'm not quite ready to let the outside into my mess. The time may come.
    · Reply · Share
  • sryrstresssryrstress 2520 replies9 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Dumpsters are wonderful and you kind of get on a roll with them. I will caution that there can be issues if you have someone who will look in and "think it will be useful someday". Roll-offs are big :)

I feel the microwave pain. H used to love to buy Black Friday deals. He's a person very prone to wanting to buy in quantity, rather than quality. We had an extra microwave in the basement for 20 years. It had cost $20 and worked fine, but who needs 2 microwaves? He finally let me donate it when we sold the big house.
    · Reply · Share
  • alhalh 8486 replies47 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Swimcatsmom: Is there any possibility at all you could convince him to go stay with relatives or friends while you load the dumpster and have it removed? I wish for you that was possible.
    · Reply · Share
  • 2VU06092VU0609 3535 replies59 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @swimcatsmom, does anyone in your area do a free recycle day for electronics? I thought the only chance to recycle old televisions, microwaves, computer equipment in my area was the spring clean-up day sponsored by my city/county government. However, I found out last year that our local electric company does a free fall collection week. Maybe something similar in your area to get rid of the scanner and microwave? You are doing great, especially with tweaking your husband's viewpoint!
    · Reply · Share