right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Traveling with your adult kids and their significant others

13»

Replies to: Traveling with your adult kids and their significant others

• gouf78gouf78 7773 replies23 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,796 Senior Member
    SO advice—welcome them like part of the family but don’t count necessarily on that happening.
    · Reply · Share
  • DingrasDadDingrasDad 5 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5 New Member
    @fendergirl "do you know the SO well?"
    Well, I can't say I know him well, but I know that the relationship is very serious. He and my DD2 had been together since sophomore college. They went to the same college together and graduated last year. Currently DD2 is living with us and SO is at the opposite coast. They have good paying respective jobs while trying to figure out graduate school and their next step in life.

Anyway, we met him the first time when he visited my daughter Junior year Christmas break while visiting a friend 2 hours away from us. The next time that we saw him was during graduation. Also met his family and had a brunch with them. Since then he visited us (staying in our home) 3 times. He spent the recent holidays (Christmas till New year) with us. He's easy to get along and very easygoing and yes @gouf78 and @doschicos , we welcome him and treat him as part of our family.

But sometimes, since they're not married yet (or engaged for that matter), there's is that reservation in my and DW's part to get really close to him.
    · Reply · Share
  • DingrasDadDingrasDad 5 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5 New Member
    ^^ Oops, I meant DD1. DD2 is too young (middle school) to have an SO. LOL
    · Reply · Share
  • fendergirlfendergirl 4601 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,757 Senior Member
    @DingrasDad , hey, I had a boyfriend in junior high! ;)

My advice, give them some time alone on the trip, especially since they don't see each other very often right now. But still include them on things.

· Reply · Share
  • WellspringWellspring 1467 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,476 Senior Member
    One problem we had when we traveled with son , daughter and daughter's significant other was that my son, who was 7 years younger than daughter and SO was not happy when they left to spend time together and he was left with us, the parents. We probably should have invited one of his friends.
    · Reply · Share
    @fendergirl Thanks. Yup, the don't see very often enough. On average, they see each other every 1 1/2 month, alternating who's traveling to see the other. Thanks God, that they have both relatively good paying job, so they can afford it. They'll have few 3 days of free time with one another that we allotted for this trip.

@Wellspring I can see that as a problem. Hopefully that will not be the case for my younger D. My DDs are 9 years apart.
    · Reply · Share
  • CountingDownCountingDown 13327 replies110 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13,437 Senior Member
    This was in our Wash Post travel section this weekend -- I thought this was a really good way to open discussions with young adults about travel, scheduling and expectations. Saw the headline and pointed it out to DH (without having read the article myself yet) and he immediately read it. Think the article will be far more effective than anything I could say! https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/its-a-new-adventure-how-to-stay-calm-and-travel-on-with-adult-offspring/2019/05/30/f4a217a0-6dc6-11e9-8f44-e8d8bb1df986_story.html?utm_term=.4fff5ccd81fc

It's perfect timing -- we are planning a trip to see S2 and hoping S1 will join us for some adventures.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 4445 replies176 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,621 Senior Member
    @CountingDown, I can’t read it because I no longer get the Post. Do you know if it’s available another way?
    · Reply · Share
  • 2018dad2018dad 1171 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,181 Senior Member
    Thank you @CountingDown

I was able to access the article and I’m not a subscriber.
    · Reply · Share
  • CountingDownCountingDown 13327 replies110 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13,437 Senior Member
    edited June 2
    1214mom, try going incognito and hitting the link. WaPo does give some freebie articles every month. Alternatively, try a different computer/device.

Try this (hope it's not against TOS): https://muckrack.com/elizabeth-chang/articles
    edited June 2
    · Reply · Share
  • fendergirlfendergirl 4601 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,757 Senior Member
    Great article, @CountingDown
    · Reply · Share