right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

College Decision Day 2019 is past. How is everyone feeling? Lessons Learned?

123457»

Replies to: College Decision Day 2019 is past. How is everyone feeling? Lessons Learned?

• sdl0625sdl0625 990 replies13 threads Senior Member
    When looking at Merit and renewal GPA, look to see if its just drops and to how much. For my S19 school it only drops 500$.
    · Reply · Share
  • pickledgingerpickledginger 500 replies18 threads Member
    "Let’s hope colleges are 'super rigorous.' We need more grit, resilience, intelligence, and appreciation of the same." (Post #118)

I doubt anyone on CC has much against grit, resilience, or intelligence (or rigorous schools) but there are many scrappy, persevering, smart kids who worked their butts off in high school who run into challenges in college that can make an anticipated college GPA much harder to obtain that expected. Depression, serious illness, death of a family member, or being assaulted are just a few that come to mind.
    · Reply · Share
  • Twoin18Twoin18 2151 replies21 threads Senior Member
    "Parents and students need to very carefully consider scholarship renewal GPA, but I wouldn’t automatically cross off a scholarship requiring a GPA higher than 3.0. Some of the best scholarships (mostly full rides) out there require up to a 3.5 to renew. Instead, ask questions of admin, parents and current students about the risk to assess whether it’s one that makes sense for your student."

Absolutely. D18's scholarship requires a 3.5 GPA to maintain it, but we were told no one has ever lost the scholarship due to falling short of that level and we could view the full distribution of GPA by major and course. So there were no concerns on our part (justifiably as her GPA after the first year is ~3.9).
    · Reply · Share
  • HamSBDadHamSBDad 63 replies4 threads Junior Member
    A perspective from parents of a student athlete... It is a very long and difficult road, so stay steady and be prepared for all the ups and downs of it. Rely on no one but yourselves. Support your athlete for the joy of it, the family camaraderie and your child's love of the sport. Do not do it for money! If that happens to come your way count it as an extra blessing.

Enjoy the ride and don't get caught up in the craziness of it. It can easily be a several year process. Make sure your child focuses on the school first and the sport second. They are there to get an education. Remember, coaches come and go quite often and this can really change the landscape for you.

Prepare your child to handle face to face rejection. At the right time, your child needs to be able to respectfully confront the coach whether or not there is a place for them on that team. Be open and honest with coaches. They often work together and share information on prospects

Be realistic about what schools match your child academically and athletically. Focus on those schools while also having a long shot but understand it is a long shot. Everyone isn't playing D1 in the ACC.

If your child is pursuing both academic and athletic dreams/goals there is a tremendous amount of pressure they can put on themselves while feeling isolated since they walk in both circles. Give them the space and down time they need to relieve that pressure.

And for the love of Pete, parents please stay off the field, away from the refs, out of the coach's office and let your children play!

· Reply · Share
  • TheodenTheoden 252 replies7 threads Junior Member
    @pickledginger "I doubt anyone on CC has much against grit, resilience, or intelligence (or rigorous schools) but there are many scrappy, persevering, smart kids who worked their butts off in high school who run into challenges in college that can make an anticipated college GPA much harder to obtain that expected. Depression, serious illness, death of a family member, or being assaulted are just a few that come to mind."

Indeed...Lucky I got some need-based aid not dependent on a GPA when I went to college. I went to a pretty rigorous HS and, shall we say, my first year at college was less than stellar. First taste of freedom has it's price. Nevertheless I graduated on time.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1stTimeThruMom1stTimeThruMom 389 replies9 threads Member
    @Theoden Sounds like a smart move by the college. Sad to think kids might not challenge themselves for fear of losing their scholarship. I get it — I had to keep a 2.6 (then the university average at Lehigh) to keep my scholarships. Which college is this?
    · Reply · Share
  • gpo613gpo613 361 replies23 threads Member
    @Theoden @pickledginger

I too was lucky that back in the day my aid was need based as I bombed the first 1.5 semesters.

I think there are plenty kids out there with grit and resilience. I do know my D19 is more ready for college than I was at her age. She is definitely smarter. And she is totally embracing working gig type jobs. It is like a bunch of part-time jobs(which are easier to get) that add up to well over 40 hour work weeks. Some are off book and for cash. She started really getting it going last semester of senior year. It is like the kid is never home. She is also gaining the skills of being a personal assistant with all the scheduling she has to do most of it with adults. She was home one Sunday for like 7 hours straight. I said why are you here shouldn't you be working.
    · Reply · Share
  • TheodenTheoden 252 replies7 threads Junior Member
    edited May 2019
    @1stTimeThruMom

Yeah - well if I'm gonna lose a scholarship, you bet I'll avoid that STATS class or the other dreaded weeder classes. Hello under-water basket weaving. ;-)

For all merit/scholarship and need based aid:

Knox College requires academic good standing 1.3 - 1.7 GPA your first year based on term and reasonable progress in your studies (on track to graduate in 5 yrs). At Knox 1 class = 1 credit. They are on a trimester system and you take 9 classes per year (3 per term). https://www.knox.edu/offices/financial-aid/financial-aid-handbook/responsibilities-of-recipients

Allegheny requires a 1.0 GPA for the first year, then it goes up from there https://sites.allegheny.edu/finaid/current-students/academic-progress-policy/ You need to graduate in 5 yrs. If you're an honors student, you may need to keep a 3.0 to keep all the privileges.(special advisement, first crack at internships and scholarships for special study)
    edited May 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • 1stTimeThruMom1stTimeThruMom 389 replies9 threads Member
    @Theoden Thanks, this is good info, especially for a kid who may be anxiety-prone.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity