right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Contemplating Foreign Language Minor

pathtocollegepathtocollege 27 replies23 threads Junior Member
My college offers a foreign language minor that requires students to take 2 years of 2 different languages. I'm starting to wonder if it will be worth it. I'm doing it in hopes of becoming proficient in the two languages.

For those who have taken language courses in college and/or minored in a language, would you say it would be more effective to study foreign languages on the side (such as through Rosetta Stone)?

Without the foreign language minor, I could possibly finish college a year early and use that time to get ahead in my career.
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Contemplating Foreign Language Minor

• itsgettingreal21itsgettingreal21 344 replies5 threads Member
    Whether 2 years is enough to be proficient depends on the language. If you won’t get to proficiency, it won’t be useful to go you so may not be worth the extra year. That year would be better used spent studying abroad in the target language.
    · Reply · Share
  • TaslimHTaslimH 1 replies0 threads New Member
    If your aim is to look for a job abroad, then having knowledge in multiple languages is definitely an advantage to increase your chances of being secured a perfect career. I'm working in a government licensed Tadbeer Dubai agency and hence based on my experiences I can promise you that you will not regret if you learn two or three languages while you leave for a foreign country in search of a job.
    · Reply · Share