right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Difference between "University Honors Program," and the "Women's Leadership Program"?

maroonhamster19maroonhamster19 15 replies25 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
What's the difference between the "University Honors Program," and the "Women's Leadership Program in Science, Health, and Medicine"? I am a senior in high school, and am interested in joining the medical field. Which of these programs would be better for a medical path?
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Difference between "University Honors Program," and the "Women's Leadership Program"?

• NHufferNHuffer 952 replies2 threadsForum Champion GWU Forum Champion
    The Honors Program is a program that will challenge you academically beyond classes that are available to everyone. You'll have special classes, guest lecturers, and many networking opportunities. Like other programs at the university, it'll also help you make friends with like-minded students. The WLP, on the other hand, is less about challenging you academically and more about networking and making friends with other "future leaders." Further, the WLP is only for you first year at GW while Honors can last your entire time.

As far as which is better, do you mean better for getting into med school or helping you be successful beyond med school? Either way, the answer is "it depends." The Honors program will look great on a med school app, but you also have to take into consider the potential impact to your GPA. For med school apps, GPA and MCAT scores are the two biggest things. So, if you can successfully be involved in Honors without a major hit to your GPA, that would be a positive on your app. However, if your GPA slides because of the increased academic rigor, it'll most likely hurt more than help. As far as the WLP, I can't say for certain whether or not it would help your application to med school. My assumption is no, however. I'd say, though, that as long as you take full advantage of the networking, it can help you land your residency of choice or follow-on places of employment if anyone you've met within the program happens to also be in a position to influence those making a decision on you.

Hope this helps.
    · Reply · Share