Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Applying to USA from India as an American Citizen


Replies to: Applying to USA from India as an American Citizen

  • iamdaoneiamdaone Registered User Posts: 26 Junior Member
    @momprof9904 I have a couple friends who attend Colby and Colgate, but unfortunately they're not of Indian origin. I'll most likely be sticking to the UCs as I must confess, I barely know anything about Liberal Arts Colleges.
    @Twoin18 I was told by a UC counselor that I could apply for instate residency after one year of attending a UC as an Out of State student, and that it isn't that tough considering the fact that I've stayed in California for a majority of my life.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,532 Senior Member
    edited April 25
    That person is mistaken. Residency depends on where your parents live.
    You'll be full pay all (4-5) years.
  • Twoin18Twoin18 Registered User Posts: 1,386 Senior Member
    @MYOS1634 OP's father lives in CA. So OP now simply needs to demonstrate his own residency in the state through 12 months of physical presence. It's nothing to do with having lived there "for a majority of my life".

    But why pay $30K of OOS fees during that period rather than just taking a gap year to work and live with his father?
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,532 Senior Member
    ^ ok, yes, good point!
    Spend a year there, work, save money, volunteer...and save the OOS costs.
  • iamdaoneiamdaone Registered User Posts: 26 Junior Member
    edited April 25
    @MYOS1634 @Twoin18 Just found out that a friend of mine did the same thing before attending UCLA as an Out of State student. I will definitely take this method into consideration. Thanks!
  • DodosAreDeadDodosAreDead Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    @iamdaone I sympathize with your confusion so much, as a fellow US citizen who moved to India and completed schooling here. First of all, don't worry much. US universities are very familiar with school systems abroad, especially the one(s) in India as so many apply from here. You'll be judged as who you are - an American citizen in terms of FA (which is a big big plus) but an international in terms of high school experience. Don't worry about not moving back to Cal for 12th grade - doing so may even be a disadvantage as you would then be compared to peers who've had access to APs/Honors classes, better opportunities for ECs, throughout HS, whereas you only had that in 9th grade.

    In fact, when compared to Indian applicants (which you will be) I'd say you have some pretty strong ECs. Keep at them!

    I was OOS everywhere since my parents both moved back to India, but you're lucky enough to get In State at the UCs after just one year. Don't fret.

    You may want to work on your SAT score - getting it closer to 1550 would make sure that it wouldn't impede you in any way. Also, check out the ACT. I found it worked better for me.

    Lastly, don't get flustered about this process. I understand that mentally speaking, it's tough being neither here nor there, but you have a lot going for you and I'm pretty sure by this time next year you'll be excitedly thinking about either your college experience or your gap year, which would enable you to save an year's worth of OOS tuition. I was super nervous about all of it, but now I'm proudly a part of the University of Michigan class of 2023! It all works out in the end. Be thankful that you don't have to worry about visas/need-aware admissions, and don't have to compete with kids who've been tailoring their entire HS experience towards getting into college. Best of both worlds, in a way.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,532 Senior Member
    ^ the process for in-state tuition now makes it impossible if your parents don't live in the state. Op would need to live in the state for 12 months to be considered instate for tuition purpose. Also, the UCs no longer give aid to OOS students.
  • iamdaoneiamdaone Registered User Posts: 26 Junior Member
    edited May 18
    @DodosAreDead Thank you so much. This really means a lot, and it has been a rough ride. I'll be taking the SAT again for sure, hopefully I can get above a 1500 then. Congratulations on getting into the University of Michigan!
    @MYOS1634 I'd like to note that my family has decided to move back to California if I get admitted into particular UC's! So hopefully we can be considered California Residents after an year.
  • retiredfarmerretiredfarmer Registered User Posts: 1,004 Senior Member

    There are unweighted and there are weighted GPAs. It is important to know which scale one is using as unweighted scales do not go higher than 4. The problem weith weighted scales is that they vary a good deal from school to school and therefore are less standard. On the widely used US Common Data Set (CDS), unweighted GPA are usually used and not the weighted GPAs. In my college the unweighted GPA's of matriculating GPA's are about 3.9 while the weighted scales are comfortably above 4.

    When a university list a GPA above 4.0, be suspecious. I had to call the admissions office for clarification. The correct standard is not to post the weighted GPA for reasons given The transcript will show your honors and AP courses.
  • iamdaoneiamdaone Registered User Posts: 26 Junior Member
    @retiredfarmer But the thing is, my school in India doesn't follow the GPA System. It follows the percentile system, likewise the majority of schools over here, and even if I were to attempt to convert my percentage to GPA (86% btw), it wouldn't be accurate because an 85 percent in India has a completely different meaning than an 85 percent in the USA. The only GPA that I have is the one from my High School in California from the 10th grade. I had an unweighted 3.71, and a weighted 3.85.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,532 Senior Member
    Check into the exact details, to see if your parents moving AFTER you start school "counts"... Each state has its own rules, you have to be careful. That being said, the UCs at instate rates are a bargain.
  • DodosAreDeadDodosAreDead Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    I'm confused. Do both of OPs parents need to reside in California for OP to be in-state (after an year)?
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,532 Senior Member
    86% in Year XI is superb, congratulations.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 29,442 Senior Member
    If the father is a CA resident, doesn't that make this student a CA resident as well? That is the question that needs to be asked.
  • momprof9904momprof9904 Registered User Posts: 329 Member
    @iamdaone Not meaning to pry, but it may be useful to know for giving proper advice - I am inferring your parents are not officially divorced? If that's the case, I am thinking that may make your CA residency a stronger possibility?
Sign In or Register to comment.