Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UVA vs. W&M Applied Mathematics

MagnificenceMagnificence Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
I've just been accepted as a transfer to both colleges (so happy), but I'm really torn. Both are elite schools with great focus on undergraduates, but I definitely prefer W&M's culture; I also prefer UVA's math related major selection. My plan is this: either a Financial Mathematics major at UVA or Applied Mathematics Major with a concentration in financial math at W&M (and possibly a minor in finance).

I'm worried about a couple things for W&M, namely grade deflation. I want to go to a good graduate school for Financial Engineering; I can't do that with W&M's average graduating GPA. I'm also unsure of wether or not their Mathematics major has the connections to firms that I've been told UVA does.

UVA also accepted about 6 more credits and is about 6-7k cheaper –but I really love W&M's campus/culture. I want to do what's best for my future, not what I might enjoy more socially for 2 years.

Any input?
This discussion has been closed.