Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Class of 2022 - Nepal

blueshiftblueshift Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
The season has begun, comrades. The heat is on.

Replies to: Class of 2022 - Nepal

• anushaneupaneanushaneupane Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Hi there. Is there anyone applying in Howard University for this fall 2018? I wanted to know that is Howard still giving scholarships for the student? Cause I don`t see the scholarship website of Howard. Please do reply.
  • aupadhayaupadhay Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi folks, I was wondering whether colleges in America offer admission to Nepali students based only on their 11th-grade results (plus the required standardized tests of course). Seeing how that's the norm for kids in America, I am pretty sure they do offer admissions. But as far as Nepali students are concerned, the results for the 12th-grade exams probably won't be in before the start of the semester in August. Do schools still let you register for classes without your final high school grades?
  • juliuscesar2000juliuscesar2000 Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
    Yup, the heat is on. Took SAT in May and got my score yesterday. Quite happy with what I got. BTW, I'm on my gap year. I reckon that most of us are on our gap year, right?
  • blueshiftblueshift Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    Most folks applying from Nepal are in their gap year.
    Yeah, it's difficult to manage application and coursework at the same time. I had considered applying while in A2 but couldn't cope with the pressure. And it's even harder for +2 students.
    Which college are you from?
    It would not be 'confidential' if I told you which college I am from.
    Legit. You are not obliged to. I wish you all the very best .
  • ab4651ab4651 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    +2 student here taking gap year. 1 SAT taken and disappointed so I have another in October. Hope it works out well.
  • OnarycOnaryc Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    Good luck all. I'm sure most of you will be fine.
    Guys, mind sharing your stats?
  • PsymachephyPsymachephy Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
    edited July 2017
    Yes, you can apply to colleges after your 12th. I applied during my A2 and now I will be attending college from August. I'll try my best to outline some pros and cons of applying after your 11th

Pros-
    1. Continuation of formal education without any gaps
    2. You have the option to report to colleges that you had applied previously if you do not get accepted and decide to take a year off.
    3. You get to understand the process better, hence increasing your chances of getting in the college of your choice even if you get rejected in your 12th year of schooling. (In case you're reapplying in your gap year)
    4. If accepted, you don't really have to worry too much about your grade 12 boards.

Cons-
    1. You need to complete your highschool curriculum while giving time for SATs and TOEFL. (Plus a whole bunch of extra work that doesn't normally get highlighted in this forum)
    2. Chances of lagging behind in your school work because of the pressure of applying.
    3. You have limited work experience, something you can work on in your gap.

There are a lot of other pros and cons but these are the ones I can assemble in my mind right now. Please do not hesitate to PM me if you have any queries.
  • unifevaunifeva Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    Hey folks. Glad to see this thread. I too think that the folks who are applying in their senior year will be hell loads of busy.Including me. Very best of luck to you all. I just had a burning question in my mind. I have seen lots of nepalese applying ti NYUAD. I just wanted to know who ( how many) are applying this year? How many of u are planning to apply there in early action/ decision?
    edited July 2017
    @unifeva Rest assured, a lot of Nepalese will be applying to NYUAD this fall. And trust me, there won't be shortage of people applying early. Two of my friends are already considering EDing NYUAD.
  • unifevaunifeva Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    @blueshift Yes, I think so. There will be many of them applying. But anyways fingers crossed. Hope everyone does fine in this season. And I think we should all start thinking about the common app essay and universities we are applying to. Is it a good idea to share the names of universities we intend to apply.