Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Spring Break Ideas -- for a family reunion of sorts

Replies to: Spring Break Ideas -- for a family reunion of sorts

• lastminutemomtwolastminutemomtwo Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    What time of year are you talking about? The Panhandle of Florida isn't terribly warm in March and is warmer in April, but there is no guarantee of beach weather in terms of temperature. Golf, walking on the beach, etc are all still good to go though.
  • HarvestMoon1HarvestMoon1 Registered User Posts: 6,228 Senior Member
    The Breakers in Palm Beach or the Cloisters at Sea Island Georgia. Breakers might be problematic in that you would most likely need to book 2 or 3 rooms rather than a condo but you can rent a house/cottage at the Cloisters.

Also take a look at Palmetto Bluff in South Carolina. You can rent a cottage as well as staying at the Inn. Very nice with plenty to do.
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 12,866 Senior Member
    Here's an out-of-the-box idea: Palm Springs. No beach, but plenty of pools and golf. Plus there is hiking in the desert/foothills, Mt. San Jacinto, great mid-century architecture and date shakes :)
  • nottellingnottelling Registered User Posts: 4,329 Senior Member
    Re Palm Springs: And this should be a spectacular year for desert wildflowers.
  • HarvestMoon1HarvestMoon1 Registered User Posts: 6,228 Senior Member
    What are "date shakes?"
  • TatinGTatinG Registered User Posts: 6,399 Senior Member
    An alternative to Florida: Kiawah Island South Carolina. There are plenty of homes and condos to rent. The golf is great. There is a long beach for beachcombing. There are kayak trips along the rivers. The bicycle trails are great. And it's just a short drive to historic Charleston with historic homes, charming streets for strolling, and excellent restaurants.
    And Charleston's airport is less than an hour away. There are direct flights from LAX but you'll have to change planes somewhere, likely Atlanta or Charlotte.
  • nottellingnottelling Registered User Posts: 4,329 Senior Member
    Date shakes are vanilla milk shakes with chopped dates in them. There are lots of dates grown in Southern California deserts and date shakes are a popular, old-fashioned treat (though wayyyyyy too sweet for me).

(In the 70s lots of health food places served them, with the ice cream sweetened with honey instead of sugar. LOL!)
  • OnwardOnward Registered User Posts: 2,961 Senior Member
    Or another idea is a cruise leaving from Florida. We are taking a mid winter break and taking a short cruise to the Bahamas. Cruises are rather nice for varying age groups.
  • coralbrookcoralbrook Registered User Posts: 7,700 Senior Member
    Why fly to Florida??? Spring in the Palm Springs desert is incredible. Lots of great hikes/walks to streams and falls. There is an abundance of great 3 bdrm vacation rentals in the Palm Springs area.
    However, if your spring break corresponds to the dates of the Indian Wells tennis tournament in mid-March, accommodations are likely already very limited.
  • MichiganGeorgiaMichiganGeorgia Registered User Posts: 4,472 Senior Member
    I would suggest either Key West,Fl or Jekyll Island, GA.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,825 Senior Member
    'Date Shake' was the answer on Wheel of Fortune recently, and no one in the room knew the answer! I looked it up because it seemed so strange. We've lived all over, including southern California and had never heard of them.

Now twice in just a few weeks.
  • cnp55cnp55 Registered User Posts: 3,799 Senior Member
    We are stuck on Florida. I've floated other ideas -- but Florida seems to be non-negotiable as is the location/
    transportation requirements and the 3BR unit. We have pretty specific dates -- the first week/end in March.

I was really just checking to see if someone had some great west coast spots that I had not discovered in my searches. Thanks to someone's suggestion, I have found a nice house in Siesta Key that might possibly work.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.
  • ECmotherx2ECmotherx2 Registered User Posts: 2,155 Senior Member
    Fly into Jacksonville and stay on Amelia Island. Golf, beach, tennis, 3 bedroom villas. Short drive to Jacksonville and even 45 min. to St. Augustine.
This discussion has been closed.