Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

Harvey Weinstein

Replies to: Harvey Weinstein

• Cardinal FangCardinal Fang Registered User Posts: 16,050 Senior Member
    Has anyone, anyone at all, defended Weinstein, except Lisa Bloom who was paid to do it?
  • IgloooIglooo Registered User Posts: 7,244 Senior Member
    edited October 7
    His wife. She is standing by him. God knows how. He is revolting. Compared to him other guys look like gentlemen.
    His mistake was not running for President - then all these women would be dismissed as liars.

Not sure if this was meant to be a jab on Trump. Unfortunately, we also have Bill in that department. It's bipartisanship.
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 3,045 Senior Member
    The wife is so beautiful and accomplished in her own right. Though I suspect an arrangement there. Think he bankrolled her company and after that infusion of money the success and high profile followed.
  • greenwitchgreenwitch Registered User Posts: 7,332 Senior Member
    It's like Bill Cosby all over again.
    His "apology" was so offensive in so many ways- I'm sorry about what happened, oh hey, how about that NRA -
    but perhaps the most offensive part was the claim that people who came of age in the 60s and 70s would be fine, then or now, with sexual harassment. I came of age in the 70s, as did many of you. His loathesome behavior wasn't OK with women then, and it isn't OK now.
  • bridgygobridgygo Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    Everyone in the film business knew about Harvey for years. It wasn't a secret at all. I knew both Weinstein and Cosby in my work. They were very different. Cosby was a better kept secret.
  • bevhillsbevhills Registered User Posts: 1,402 Senior Member
    This is a surprise? Men (and women) become more attractive with every million dollars they have. The more power you have the better your secrets are kept.
    Who is claiming that Weinstein is remotely attractive? The accusation is that he harassed women, not that he seduced them. He had power and could threaten his victims; he didn't have sex appeal.
  • bevhillsbevhills Registered User Posts: 1,402 Senior Member
    His mother (and father)adored him. Remember MiraMax? I bet that he was told every day how perfect he was.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,493 Senior Member
    "If your daughter has Secret Service protection, you may have less to worry about while she interns with Weinstein."

It's not that your child would even be working with Weinstein, it is the atmosphere of the office, being around others who spend time covering up for him, the jokes. the tension. If the boss is acting like a jerk, so are some of the other people.

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 63,502 Senior Member
    "Open secrets" are more secret than people are willing to acknowledge.

They might be well known in some social circles, but unknown outside of them.

An analogous example from other discussions on these forums is that, at colleges, upperclasswomen may be passing word-of-mouth to each other that a certain fraternity house is "rapey", but new freshwomen may not hear about it until after they have been on campus for a while (perhaps going to parties at that fraternity house before hearing about it).
    His mother (and father)adored him. Remember MiraMax? I bet that he was told every day how perfect he was.

I don't understand this comment. I don't understand what I'm supposed to remember about MiraMax, but whatever it is, I doubt I ever knew it. What is MiraMax? What does it have to do with Harvey Weinstein?
  • HarvestMoon1HarvestMoon1 Registered User Posts: 6,036 Senior Member
    edited October 7
    Miramax was co-founded with his brother and was named after their parents Miriam and Max Weinstein. He produced and distributed his first films and TV shows through this company. Think it was later sold to Disney or some other major production company.

Not sure what the significance of this is except to illustrate the close relationship between the brothers and their parents.
This discussion has been closed.