right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Cheap school = "trashy" dorm life?

Josie5Josie5 10 replies4 postsRegistered User New Member
So, we are probably looking at a public university for my daughter. Is it a given that dorm life is going to have (what I consider) a high level of "trashy" behavior - - kids sleeping around (in the dorm rooms with roommates present?!) / drinking / partying? What do other conservative families / parents do - - just have their kid live at home? Our local schools aren't that academically great - - but we are considering it, because dorm life seems so over-rated / expensive.
178 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Cheap school = "trashy" dorm life?

• Josie5Josie5 10 replies4 postsRegistered User New Member
    Thank you for your honest replies. I guess partly what I meant by cost, is that in a private religious school, I might have a hope of certain behavior from the students. But of course, they are just a little more expensive than state schools. : )
    This was brought home to me when I was talking to a friend last night. She is a very strong, conservative Christian mom whose son is a freshman at Purdue. Anyway, she was talking about how certain behaviors are rampant, and I am kind of angry that in order to get a taxpayer-funded education, the kids have to put up with a lot of crummy behavior.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77190 replies672 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Josie5 wrote:
    This was brought home to me when I was talking to a friend last night. She is a very strong, conservative Christian mom whose son is a freshman at Purdue.

Purdue seems to have the opposite of all of the factors associated with lesser college drinking listed in reply #3.
    · Reply · Share
  • Josie5Josie5 10 replies4 postsRegistered User New Member
    " Residence halls are self supporting at public colleges. No taxpayer money is involved. "
    Hmmm - - wondering how this could be? The residence halls are on university land, they are university buildings, staffed by university employees, right?
    If my kid goes to a school like IU, she is required to live on-campus freshman year. So she cannot get the educational opportunities without the exposure to the trashy behavior, right?
    · Reply · Share
  • chippedtoofchippedtoof 260 replies3 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Any thoughts as to why drinking is less in the west and south? Weather?
    · Reply · Share
  • MassDaD68MassDaD68 1524 replies24 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I agree. She should have no problem avoiding it if she wants too. It just makes for a rough socialization if most get togethers involve drinking.
    · Reply · Share
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom 2818 replies36 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Yes, the post college world does include some irresponsible people, but nowhere near on the level of what occurs in some college dorms. I lived in many apartments for many years as a young adult. I never had to step over vomit, or pools of urine, or passed out bodies in an apartment, though I did all those things at an Ivy dorm. I never had fellow residents damage the apartment building or pull fire alarms for fun as in a dorm.Try to find a living learning community of like minded students or pick your dorm carefully.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity