right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, Student Voices - vol. 3, and Student Voices - vol. 4 eBooks NOW!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Will subject tests be cancelled permanently in the near future?

134g8h4owv134g8h4owv 20 replies4 threads Junior Member
Hello, I have a few years left in high school, and MIT and Caltech cancelling subject tests for good is concerning. Will other colleges likely follow suit (making studying for subject tests useless)? If so, how will i show competence in the subject I want to study?
edited September 19
4 replies
Post edited by skieurope on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Will subject tests be cancelled permanently in the near future?

• Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 3877 replies94 threads Senior Member
    134g8h4owv wrote: »
    how will i show competence in the subject I want to study?

By getting an A in the class and a 5 on the AP exam?
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2995 replies48 threads Senior Member
    It wouldn’t surprise me if Subjects Tests and the SAT Essay disappear before long, but I suspect it will be at least 2-3 years.

There are typically many outlets to show expertise, in addition to the above mentioned.

Example - I suspect my D’s AIME and MPfG qualification will mean more to MIT/Caltech than joining their horde of 800 Math2 applicants.

Other subjects have clubs, shows, competitions, etc to show long term interest, engagement, and excellence. Being involved in, and potentially being a leader in, a literary club and publishing poems/stories/etc., even at just the school level, probably means much more than a high Lit ST score.
    · Reply · Share
  • CCTO857CCTO857 17 replies3 threads Junior Member
    I still hope subject tests are kept for the near-future. Test scores are especially useful for people who are have lots of knowledge but haven't received many major awards.
    · Reply · Share
  • sattutsattut 1038 replies92 threads Senior Member
    They are not as important as before, as there are more rigorous AP exams.

The math and science tests are compromised. College Board continues to recycle questions from tests that are available on the web. That is probably partly why MIT and Caltech are not considering them.
    · Reply · Share