Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

New York Times Summer Academy

norcalgallnorcalgall Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
Sorry that this doesn't really involve college admissions but, has anyone done the New York Times Summer Academy? I'm very interested in doing it next summer and was looking for opinions on it or advice on applying.

Replies to: New York Times Summer Academy

• citymama9citymama9 Registered User Posts: 1,731 Senior Member
    I was getting emails from them. Looks good, but so expensive.
  • faizan1faizan1 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I attended the program this year. It was the best summer experience of my life. I'd highly recommend you to apply and attend, especially if NYT has a program that you're really passionate about. In my case, it was Finance and Economics. I had the opportunity to visit Goldman Sachs and interact and connect with the recruiters and analysts. I learnt a lot and it helped me discover what i actually wanted to do in life. The program helps you discover your passion.
  • norcalgallnorcalgall Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Hi, I was wondering if you have any helpful tips or recommendations on getting accepted/good things to add into response questions. I'm applying right now for this summer, thanks!
  • ManOfGodManOfGod Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Do you think that getting NYT related awards such as student comment of the week will be helpful to Admission? Also does anybody have a ballpark number for acceptance rate?
    edited December 8
    @norcalgall I think that in order to get accepted and receive maximum financial aid, you need to write clearly in the essay about why you want to take part in the specific program and explain how the course fascinates you. I noticed that generally there were two types of people in the summer program: (1) who really love what their course teaches and were extremely passionate about the specific area of study. and (2) who wanted to explore new subjects to find their passion. Good luck!
    edited December 8
    @ManOfGod It will be very helpful if you want to apply to the Writing In The Big City course of the NYT summer program. I personally think that the essay is the most important part and it's what ultimately decides your admission outcome to NYT. As far as the acceptance rate is concerned, I remember the director of the Summer Program say that he read about 3000 applications. We had around 150-200 students in our program so i think it's below 10%. But you don't need a perfect GPA to get in. I didn't have a spectacular high school transcript but I was able to show them deep interest in the course through the essays. Good luck!