'10 college graduates--take any job or wait for "career" job?

<p>Just curious how others are handling this one. Our son graduated just a few weeks ago. He has a part time job in his college town. His apartment lease is up Sept. 1. He is looking at a great job "back there" but if it doesn't materialize the plan is for him to move back home. We have made it clear that he will need some kind of job to pay his own auto insurance, gas,egym membership (a must for him) and cel phone bill.<br>
I ran into a friend yesterday. Her son graduated in May of 10. He has been home since. He worked for my company one summer and I recently did a phone reference background check for him. This is a great kid. Much like all of ours. Stand out in HS and college.<br>
He did not get the job I provided the reference for. His Mom says he has been looking full time for a job (business degree).<br>
Am I being short sighted in telling my son he needs to get a job, any job, right away?
We have restaurants, bars, etc. near us so he has some options in that regard.</p>

<p>In this very trying economy, I am not sure what to suggest for those newly minted graduates. In my mind, to work in a bar is worse than hit the road and become a salesperson. You will be spit upon, kicked in the behind and slamed shut on a day to day basis, but you will learn how to handle people and failure in a shot time.</p>

<p>Life Insurance and Real Estate are the two most noted.</p>

<p>ebeeeee, are you thinking that if he works in a restaurant, bar, etc. he find full time employment?</p>

<p>If he moves back home how about giving him a time limit to find "the job" where you pay for his car insurance, cell bill, etc., say 60 days? If he does not find something in that time frame, then he should find any job. </p>

<p>Honestly, though, I think a person can work a restaurant job, or as a bartender and still have plenty of free time to find full time employment. Most of these service jobs are PT and much of it is evening and weekend work. He could do this and still be free several weekdays between 8-5 to meet with recruiters and interview. JMO.</p>

<p>I just graduated and I settled on a job offer but elected to start in September instead of June (they wanted the new hires to start on one of two dates, admin logistics). My parents were pretty cool with it because a) it's not like I'm technically unemployed b) I've been working a PT job making $600-800 a week but have the flexibility to enjoy my last true summer off.<br>
I say make him line up a job by September, whatever it may be. At the same time, tell him to start looking online (craigslist is great, monster and such are typical) at any and all FT jobs. My job isn't technically aligned with my major, but it's still engineering work and analytical, and more importantly, I LOVE the company and what they do, so I'm happy. Tell him to find a job at a company that's somewhat related to his field or interests and run with it. A first job doesn't rule your life, but it's important that he likes what he or the company is trying to do</p>

<p>
[quote]
A first job doesn't rule your life, but it's important that he likes what he or the company is trying to do

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I like your attitude!</p>

<p>This reminds me of - date only " Mr Right", or see what happens?</p>

<p>You wouldn't give up on dating if a lifelong partner wasn't immediately obvious, neither should you expect your career path to be equally as clear.</p>

<p>EK I like your analogy. Yes, bar or restaurant work would likely be part time evenings and weekends so plenty of time for interviews and pursuing "real" employment. I guess it will have to be what ultimately works for my family. I don't envision saying "take 60 days to find a job."</p>

<p>Bar or restaurant work sounds ideal because the hours wouldn't interfere with interviews for other jobs more closely connected to the young person's career ambitions.</p>

<p>Realize that the average unemployment period for new grads is about 6 months... I say give him 6 months. See if he can at least get a January/February hire.</p>

<p>I know a 55 year old guy who works at a retail store on weekends while he's looking for a job. Another 47 year old who worked as a night security guard while he was out (over a year but he finally landed successfully). If they can do it, so can your son. Night/weekend work sounds like a good idea to me. Or maybe he could do odd jobs like lawn mowing or pet sitting while he looks. IMO, he should earn SOMETHING to help out with expenses.</p>

<p>Thanks all. That is my point of view. I work part time in a wine bar. We currently have a young man who recently passed the bar. He has three degrees, BA, MA and JD, each from a good school. He is looking for a full time law job but he is in a tough specialty area of law. He has no problem with the work, and we both earn great tips and good money. In fact, I am going on vacation and he has volunteered for some extra hours.
If I were hiring I would applaud his work ethic.</p>

<p>"Am I being short sighted in telling my son he needs to get a job, any job, right away? "</p>

<p>I agree with you. A job -- any job -- is better than sitting around being supported by Mommy and Daddy.</p>

<p>"Decades before becoming president of McDonald's USA, Jan Fields cooked French fries at one of the fast-food franchise's restaurants.</p>

<p>Her recollections of being a McDonald's crew worker in 1977 were hardly glamorous. Fields was a 22-year-old mother on a mission to earn money for college courses while her husband served in the military. She worked the night shift. Her feet killed her. Her blue polyester uniform stank of grease. She earned exactly $2.65 an hour.</p>

<p>It was her first job.</p>

<p>"There were a lot of days I wanted to quit," she said. "But I learned never quit over one thing, one situation, one person. Come back, and the second day gets better."....</p>

<p>Despite this gloomy economy, it may be encouraging to know that before some high-powered executives and political figures found success and fame, they, too, started somewhere in a much lower-level position.</p>

<p>Billionaire Warren Buffett, who made his fortune off savvy investments, began his career as a paper boy for The Washington Post.</p>

<p>For tech-giant Steve Jobs, who co-founded Apple, he asked for an internship at Hewlett-Packard at 12. And he got it.</p>

<p>Douglas McMillon, CEO of Wal-Mart International, landed his first gig at 17, unloading trucks for the company. ..."</p>

<p>Cooking</a> fries? Cleaning hospitals? Executives reflect on their first job - CNN.com</p>

<p>I'm also in the "get to work" gang here--with the belief that all employment experience (well, maybe not drug running) has value when young adults are first entering the work force and that in this economy and at this life stage it is better to see where an opportunity will take you then to wait for the imagined "right one." My recent grad has a wide range of random skills and too many directions of interest. But he has a destination, some housing there and some money saved from simple jobs that have taught him to work with almost anyone including irrational bosses, how to learn something completely new (fence building), how to get along with coworkers and how to navigate in strange new places when the ATM doesn't work. I certainly expect him to do something professional with his college degree eventually, but now I just expect him to stay housed, pay his health insurance, and use good judgment more days than not. If he has to come home because he can't make it work we would take him in and send him out to find something to earn money while being at home but we all are hoping that won't be where his path takes him. Unless a kid has a very well defined career goal that has a narrow required entry path, I think the wandering into the "woods" to seek your fortune image is just where they are developmentally and we just have to be glad there are cell phones and email so we might get an occasional update. (How did those mothers in fairy tales cope?)</p>

<p>That said, I'm sure there are circumstances where it is important for a kid to know to not take a job that does not feel "right" in terms of their integrity or safety or good-enough fit. Hopefully if they are in that kind of dilemma they will talk with us or some other trusted more-adult person for some guidance. They do still need coaching on how to negotiate salary and how to quit a job in an appropriate way.</p>

<p>"Don’t quit before you’ve started. Some students are so frustrated by the state of the economy they haven’t bothered to look for a job. “I tell them, ‘Look that’s a self-fulfilling prophesy,’” said Kitty McGrath, executive director of career services at Arizona State University. “If you don’t look then you know you won’t have a job.”</p>

<p>Prioritize. “Is it likely that you’re going to get your A, No. 1, first job and see lots of those? No,” said ASU’s McGrath. Decide in advance how much time you’ll spend pursuing your first choice — a month for example — and then expand the search to include other positions, McGrath said.</p>

<p>Search across industries. “The major doesn’t necessarily equal their career,” said Katharine Brooks, director of the career center for the Liberal Arts college at the University of Texas at Austin. “They really need to focus on the value of what they’ve learned and be able to articulate that to an employer.”..."</p>

<p>Job-Search</a> Tips for New College Graduates - Real Time Economics - WSJ</p>

<p>Our neighbor's S graduated in May '09 and is still unemployed. He has a certain job in mind that he wants but are very hard to come by for inexperienced new grads. He apparantly doesn't want to do anything else. He's been living at home with Mom and Dad completely unemployed for over a year now. We've been very surprised that he hasn't at least gotten a job at Target or the like.</p>

<p>Northstarmom, interesting post about McDonalds. Years ago my first job was at a brand new McDonalds in our town. Decades later I was a hotel manager. My boss had been a McDonalds employee himself and we often talked about how that training and work ethic was missing in today's youth. He bragged that he had traveled with Ronald McDonald...I did him one better by bringing in my old paper crew hat with Ronald's autograph on it!</p>

<p>Wasn't that Willard Scott?</p>

<p>I don't know. You mean Willard was one of the Ronalds?</p>

<p>26 years ago, when I graduated from college, times were tough and getting a job wasn't easy (copier or insurance sales, anyone?). I took a job as a teller with a bank. We joked that we were the best-educated teller line in the company as most of us had just received our BAs. I also kept the part-time job I had through college.</p>

<p>18 months later I was able to get a job at the very large company I still work for today. That bank job, horrid as it was, taught me a lot about what I <em>didn't</em> want to do. It paid the bills, but was a soul-killer. </p>

<p>My 19-yo has a retail job for the summer with more than one co-worker who just graduated and needs to pay the bills. Give it no more than 6 months if you can afford it, and then get him working at anything.</p>

<p>Willard scott was actually the original Ronald. Theres a youtube.</p>