1780 May SAT 4.0 GPA

<p>And 1780 isn't a bad score. It's a bit low when you compare to other CCers because CC is full of ivy league hopefuls/nerds that want to see how other ivy league hopefuls are doing.</p>

<p>^ At a school without grade deflation, 4.0 should be about the 99th percentile. 1780 is the 79th percentile. That represents a significant inconsistency, which is why some people may call the 1780 relatively bad.</p>

<p>You have a great GPA and mediocre SATs. GPA is a better predictor of college success than SATs.
Retake them and try the ACTs. Don't be so hard on yourself. If English isn't your native language, you are at a disadvantage.</p>

<p>
[quote]
GPA is a better predictor of college success than SATs.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>.54 correlation as opposed to .53.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Retake them and try the ACTs.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Yes, the OP may be better-suited for the ACT, as it is an achievement test, whereas the SAT is an aptitude test.</p>

<p>
[quote]
GPA is a better predictor of college success than SATs

[/quote]

Unless you have perfect information regarding the rigor/quality of OP's school as well as OP's chosen courses, the assertion you made is not accurate.</p>

<p>@Jersey: </p>

<p>I agree. For me, I believe AP test scores are the best predictor, as they really are just college tests. GPA is relative to how hard your school is. For example, a kid once told me that his high school was so bad that of the 300 or so people that took AP chemistry, only 1 person passed with a 3. 3-5 people got 2's and the rest got 1s. A LOT of people probably got A's. </p>

<p>I think the SAT or ACT tests different things and are not ENTIRELY accurate on a person's ability (I improved 12 points in a year on my English section, am I really that much smarter?, or did I learn how to take an ACT English test?), but more accurate than just a GPA as GPA is relative to the school, while test scores are relative to the nation.</p>

<p>^ Indeed, every metric has its limitations.</p>

<p>@ SilverTurtle:</p>

<p>At our school, it's a 5.0 scale for honors and 4.0 is only 90th percentile. (I had a flat 4.0 freshman year and was ranked 53/556 people). I had several B's, but they were in Honors courses.</p>

<p>^ I meant 4.0 unweighted, assuming a rigorous courseload as the OP described. Surely these aren't that common at your school, right?</p>

<p>4.0 unweighted isn't rare if they take a regular course load. It's pretty rare with a loaded course-load. I think Laziness is huge for it, but yeah, around 97 percentile. I'm in the 93rd-94th percentile right now, and my GPA is like a 3.5-6 unweighted, lol.</p>

<p>Well, regardless of the particular number, I trust you agree with my point about the "bad" label's likely being a product of its inconsistency with the GPA.</p>

<p>Yep, I'll agree that some schools (I'm not suggesting OP's school), are hyperinflating their GPAs. Other times, people just could be bad at test-taking and a hard worker. I know I scored higher on my ACT than the competing valedictorian, but she probably works harder than I did (not to say I didn't work hard, I did, just not THAT hard).</p>