1780 May SAT 4.0 GPA

<p>I took the SAT in May and received a 1780
690- CR
530- Math :(
560- Writing :/</p>

<p>4.0 GPA</p>

<p>Do i have any chance at getting into any competitive school? Any recommendations on schools that would fit a candidate such as myself.
And also I just retook the SAT's today but for obvious reasons I do not know my scores yet.</p>

<p>Maybe, its not unheard of. But its very unlikely. Honestly, it looks like your school is grade inflated to the power of 10.</p>

<p>Well, on second thought, what is your definition of competitive?</p>

<p>The SATs goal aren't to measure your intelligence, rather to see how well you measure your time so don't fret. With a GPA like that you should have no problem trying to boost your math, just try to manage your time on that section better.</p>

<p>Try the ACT. I got a similar SAT score though I did very well on the ACT</p>

<p>how the hell did u have a 4 gpa and get a 1780??</p>

<p>ur school is either mentally retarded or ur a god awful test taker</p>

<p>
[quote]
The SATs goal aren't to measure your intelligence

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Whether or not the goal of the SAT is to measure intelligence is irrelevant; SAT scores are strongly correlated with IQ. </p>

<p>
[quote]
rather to see how well you measure your time so don't fret.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Huh?</p>

<p>Hahahaha danktank.</p>

<p>INFLATION ALERT!</p>

<p>Tell your school administration board to grow a pair and stop lying about its students' grades.</p>

<p>@silverturtle - any proof of the correlation? I really would like to know more.</p>

<p>
[quote]
any proof of the correlation? I really would like to know more

[/quote]
</p>

<p>From the conclusion section of a study by two Case Western Reserve University psychology professors:</p>

<p>
[quote]
Overall, the results of these studies support two major findings. First, the SAT is an adequate measure of general intelligence, and second, it is a useful tool in predicting cognitive functioning when other estimates of intelligence are unavailable, too time-consuming, or too costly.

[/quote]
</p>

<p><a href="http://www.psychologicalscience.org/pdf/ps/frey.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.psychologicalscience.org/pdf/ps/frey.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>They found that SAT scores correlate with IQ scores as much as any randomly selected IQ test.</p>

<p>SAT: Scholastic Aptitude Test.</p>

<p>Aptitude tests usually measure intelligence or inherent abilities.</p>

<p>But practice still constitutes a big part of success on the SAT.</p>

<p>^ Formerly, that is (at least by name).</p>

<p>What is it called now? Regardless, it's still evidently an aptitude test.</p>

<p>
[quote]
What is it called now?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>The SAT Reasoning Test, where SAT is not an initialism.</p>

<p>
[quote]
it's still evidently an aptitude test.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Indeed.</p>

<p>Though the grades in my school are somewhat inflated I also work very hard. ( IB diploma program keeps me up all hours of the night)</p>

<p>My only problem with the SAT in college admissions is that it puts students for whom English is not their first language at a severe disadvantage and strongly favors students who prefer English over math/science. I see this regularly at my school - many students who have an 800 on the math portion of the SAT I, all four math/science subject tests, and have never gotten a B in their life, still end up with an SAT score about 200 points lower than mine simply because they can only muster 650s on their SAT reading and writing. In my opinion, this score (~2050) does not reflect their ability to succeed in math/science majors in college. </p>

<p>They still get into decent schools like Berkeley, so it's not that big of a deal, but I feel like this rules them out of the top privates even though they could probably succeed there.</p>

<p>if you can, try the ACT. Some kids do much better on the ACT than on the SAT.</p>

<p>IB is a bunch of b%#$#@, don't get me started on that liberal sh#$.</p>

<p>You can increase your SAT score by studying. You can't increase your IQ very easily.</p>

<p>^ Yes, I agree that it is easier to raise one's SAT score than IQ score. I'm pretty sure the correlational study took this into account, though. :)</p>