2012 Marshall Scholarships (Seniors)

<p>How</a> to apply
Now Open
Deadline: October 1, 2011</p>

<p>RULES FOR CANDIDATES
Marshall Scholarships finance young Americans of high ability to study for a degree in the United Kingdom in a system of higher education recognised for its excellence. Founded by a 1953 Act of Parliament, Marshall Scholarships are mainly funded by the Foreign and
Commonwealth Office and commemorate the humane ideals of the Marshall Plan conceived by General George C Marshall. They express the continuing gratitude of the British people to their American counterparts.</p>

<p>The objectives of the Marshall Scholarships are:
· To enable intellectually distinguished young Americans, their country’s future leaders, to study in the UK.
· To help Scholars gain an understanding and appreciation of contemporary Britain.
· To contribute to the advancement of knowledge in science, technology, the humanities and social sciences and the creative arts at Britain’s centres of academic excellence.
· To motivate Scholars to act as ambassadors from the USA to the UK and vice versa throughout their lives thus strengthening British American understanding.
· To promote the personal and academic fulfilment of each Scholar.</p>

<p>In appointing Scholars the selectors will look for candidates who have the potential to excel as scholars, as leaders and as contributors to improved UK-US understanding. Assessment will be based on academic merit, leadership potential and ambassadorial potential. </p>

<p>Up to forty Marshall Scholarships will be awarded in 2012. They are tenable at any British university and cover two years of study in any discipline at graduate level, leading to the award of a British university degree. Conditions governing One Year Scholarships are set out in a separate set of Rules.</p>

<p>Candidates are invited to indicate two preferred universities, although the Marshall Commission reserves the right to decide on final placement. Expressions of interest in studying at universities other than Oxford, Cambridge and LSE are particularly welcomed.
Candidates are especially encouraged to consider the Marshall Partnership Universities.</p>

<p>The selection of Scholars is based on a range of factors, including a candidate’s choice of course, choice of university, and academic and personal aptitude. Selected candidates will be expected to attend their first choice university unless there is a compelling academic reason for a change (eg the supervisor has moved or the university no longer offers the course). The Commission rarely approves requests to change institution after selection.</p>

<p>Candidates do not need to have applied for or be accepted at a British university before they apply for a Marshall Scholarship.</p>

<p>The total value of a Marshall Scholarship varies according to the circumstances (place of residence, selected university, etc.) of each Scholar but the figure tends on average to be about £23,000 a year.
This comprises:
· a personal allowance to cover residence and cost of living expenses at the rate of £844 per month (£1,044 for Scholars at Central London institutions);
· payment of tuition fees;
· fares to and from the United States;
· Claimable allowances totalling approximately £3,300:
· an arrival allowance; a grant for books; a grant for approved travel in connection with studies; payment of necessary daily expenses for travel between place of residence and place of study, provided the distance between the two is reasonable; a grant for the cost of preparation of any thesis submitted for examination, if required; shipping of property to and from the United States</p>

<p>To qualify for 2012 awards, candidates should:
· be citizens of the United States of America (at the time they apply for a scholarship);
· (by the time they take up their scholarship ie September 2012) hold their first undergraduate degree from an accredited four-year college or university in the United States;
· have obtained a grade point average of not less than 3.7 (or A-) on their undergraduate degree.(Exceptions will be considered only on the specific recommendation of the sponsoring college.)
· have graduated from their first undergraduate college or university after April 2009.
· not have studied for, or hold a degree or degreeequivalent qualification from a British University.</p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>Take Care,
Lisa</p>

<p>Does anyone know when calls for interviews start to come in for either the Marshall or Rhodes scholarships?</p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>The Rhodes committee has already contacted those they wish to interview; the Marshall committee has yet to contact students re. the status of their application.</p>

<p>Best,</p>

<p>K.</p>

<p>Are you speaking from knowledge about just one district or in general? I applied to district 5. If you're right about them already making calls, then I guess I didn't get it this year. Oh well, there's always graduate school in the US so there's still plenty to look forward to!</p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I applied to district 2 for Rhodes and the Boston Region for the Marshall.</p>

<p>The Rhodes sent out a generic email to candidates who would <em>not</em> be invited for an interview (I was not not). I am assuming the Rhodes committees contact those they do wish to interview around the same time--so you might still be in the running!</p>

<p>For the Marshall: I have no idea when they contact applicants as to whether or not they will be interviewed. I just know that my application status still states I am endorsed and I am still waiting to hear whether or not I will make it to the interview stage.</p>

<p>In many ways, both the Rhodes and Marshall are looking for particular types of students (if you read about past winners, they are all generally the same). This can be frustrating, but it is what it is. </p>

<p>Like you, I am still holding out hope for graduate school in the US. </p>

<p>Good luck and best wishes!</p>

<p>I'm sorry to hear you didn't go farther in the Rhodes competition. I've checked my email spam folder just in case and haven't received a rejection letter from them yet, so I don't know if that means I'm still on the old chopping block or they forgot to send me a rejection email. Like you, I have graduate school to look forward to if I don't receive either of the two scholarships so there's always other ways to success but I wish they would just send me a rejection letter or call. I can handle a rejection notice (although it is disappointing when you get one of those), but what I don't like is that feeling of hanging in limbo between acceptance and rejection. After hearing you say they they have already called people, I'm beginning to think they forgot to hit send on my rejection email or something.</p>

<p>Well I ended up not being selected for either one. Just got the rejection emails back-to-back in about a 10 minute time frame (quite the devastating blow to get hit twice with rejection so close together, if I must say so myself). Oh well...there's about a gazillion other sources of funding for graduate research to look for so I guess that's where my focus now lies. Whatever gets me funding, I'll do it lol. I must say, I learned a lot from the application process even if it was an ultimate failure. Not to switch topics on this thread, but does anyone know of some big graduate school funding sources that still have applications open and plenty of time to complete them? I know about the SMART graduate fellowship, the National Physical Science Consortium (NPSC) fellowship, and the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship program. I'm going into Computer Science and Math so I'm interested in any STEM-related fellowship.</p>

<p>I still haven't heard anything from Marshall...</p>

<p>My son applied for the Rhodes in District 7. His Email notification was received last week (Friday).</p>

<p>I know someone who got an interview in district 4. Anyone heard about Marshall?</p>

<p>My kid got the Marshall (Boston consulate). The sent him an invitation about a week before, interviews were 11/9 and they called him @ 6 am the next morning. He's heard that other applicants from his school are still waiting.</p>