Hi! I know that there have been some discussions in previous years about Stanford OHS, but I didn’t see one this year and would appreciate any feedback from anyone who is also applying for the 2020 school year. I actually just submitted my application yesterday, applying for round 1 (deadline was January 15, 2020) and will be awaiting my decision in March. To pass the time, I was just wondering about any other people’s stories, admissions chances, etc. Anything relevant is welcome.
Some demographic info about my own experience in case you want to use it for reference:
- For the standardized test scores, I personally took the SSAT in November, scoring at the 95th percentile, with the highest individual score being in reading where I got a 99%.
- Submitted a video essay 5 minutes (literally) before I submitted the application, there was not much planning involved, but I liked the end product.
- I wont disclose a ton about my essays as they were quite personal to me, but it really helped to complete those early on in the admissions process
- Not applying for financial aid
- Applying for the “single course” option
- Has dual citizenship (Finland)
- Gender: female
- strong extra curriculars (like essay, I won’t disclose a ton because there is a lot of more unique elements in that, but if you ask personally, I can provide more information)
- Current school: Rigorous charter school, ranked first public school in state
- Duke TIP enrollment
- Placed for spelling bee and ethics bowls
- Competitive sports (equestrian)
- Recommendation (I felt were strong), though I only submitted two as opposed to the optional 3… both teachers were kind enough to send me a copy of what they submitted, even though I had waived FERPA rights.
- Both parents went to relatively competitive colleges (USC and Berkeley/transferred to MIT), so there are no points there and I like in a really generic suburb town.
- Not a HUGE applicant pool in my state, but more than some (Oregon)… tell me if you are applying from here too!!
- Born in Hawaii
… let me know if you have any specific questions/if I am missing anything, but i am going to leave this pretty open-ended… the strongest part were extracurriculars and essays by the way, but some I do not feel comfortable sharing
Feel free to share ANYTHING relevant!! I look forward to hearing other experiences