21st Birthday Jewelry Gift...Need Suggestions

<p>So disclaimer: I'm asking this question for MYSELF! I know that sounds selfish and kind of weird, but hear me out. My 21st birthday is around the corner and my parents and I both agreed that I wanted a special piece of jewelry that I'll be able to keep forever and potentially pass down. A heirloom, I supposed. Nothing too expensive (trying to keep it under $200, which is still pretty expensive for my family!) My parents want me to pick it out myself, because if they are going to spend a significant amount of money, it has to be something I'll get good use out of. They keep asking me to pick out something and I'm coming up with nothing!! This is very unlike me, usually I want a million things at once lol...</p>

<p>Anyway, I don't really know where to start looking. Can anyone recommend a store or brand to check out? I preferably would like a necklace or ring. I like somewhat dainty jewelry, especially when it comes to rings. I checked out Sundance Catalog and loved so many things, but everything I loved was at least $500. I did see a personalized heirloom necklace that I am considering getting. Anything between $100 and $200 (perhaps I could push to $250 if it was very special) is what I'm looking for. Again, I want this to be good quality so I can pass it down. I'm looking for a place that maybe has jewelry that's personalized to some extent? Or something that has meaning at least.</p>

<p>THANKS! :) </p>

<p>Does your mother already have a special piece of jewelry she could gift you?
Thats what I did with my girls.
I gave them each one of my nicest pieces when they turned 18.</p>

<p>She does have TONS of jewelry, but she expressed that she wanted to buy me a new piece. I believe she’s saving special pieces for when I get married, perhaps graduate law school…something bigger than a 21st birthday :slight_smile: I did receive a BEAUTIFUL necklace from my grandmother a few months ago after my surgery. I love having a special piece, and that’s what inspired me to want to get my own special piece that I could give my granddaughter one day. </p>

<p>How about a pair of nice pearl earrings? A necklace or ring with your birthstone?</p>

<p>Costco has some very nice jewelry for $200 and less that you could look at. Personalizing adds to the price. </p>

<p>If you like silver or metals other than gold, you have more options at your price range. </p>

<p>Here’s a link for a nice strand of pearls in your price range. </p>

<p><a href=“http://m.costco.com/6.0---8.5-mm-Graduated-Freshwater-Cultured-Pearl-Strand.product.11678913.html”>http://m.costco.com/6.0---8.5-mm-Graduated-Freshwater-Cultured-Pearl-Strand.product.11678913.html</a></p>

<p>Here are two other necklaces:</p>

<p><a href=“http://m.costco.com/gold-necklaces.html”>http://m.costco.com/gold-necklaces.html</a></p>

<p>You might be off put by the name since it’s so expensive but Tiffany’s has some necklaces and rings for as low as 150! Nothing too fancy but good plain classic jewelry! Go check the website and just click “all under 300” and they’ll be there</p>

<p>A string of pearls - ageless and something you will wear for the rest of your life.</p>

<p>A signet ring comes to mind. Many people do pass these down despite having someone else’s initials.</p>

<p>I suggest you look at antique or vintage jewelry. At your price point, the quality will be MUCH better than comparably priced new jewelry and you will get much more for your money.</p>

<p>I ditto deega–antique and vintage jewelry–you can find some very unique items especially in rings in your price range.</p>

<p>I think this ring is lovely and in your price range too.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ILH3RY/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1”>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ILH3RY/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1</a></p>

<p>Have you considered getting a piece of jewelry with your birthstone?</p>

<p>We gave our niece a pair of Tiffany pearl earring studs for her high school graduation. They were around $155 I think, very reasonably priced. She put them on immediately. She (and her older sister) both commented that she’d have them “forever”. They’re a perfect size too, not too large. Even though Tiffany’s seems overpriced, the fact is that it always feels special to get a gift from there. </p>

<p>I think the important thing is to find something you like and that you will want to wear often. Don’t choose something that you don’t really like just because it is “timeless.” For example, I definitely wasn’t a “string of pearls” person at age 21, and therefore that wouldn’t have been an appropriate gift for me.</p>

<p>You might want to look at websites like Blue Nile. Blue Nile is a reputable dealer with discount prices. They have a number of pretty 14 karat gold chains with small charms/pendants that are very wearable and that would stand the test if time. You can search by price range – say $100 to $225 – and then view the results. </p>

<p>I personally would stick with 14K or 18K white or yellow gold. </p>

<p>In my experience, sterling jewelry is not as long lasting. When it is tarnished, it sits in my jewelry box and I never pick it up again.</p>

<p>Avoid “gold vermeil” and similar materials. </p>

<p>I second Tiffany…timeless, instantly recognizable… They have some great and affordable key or lock pendants and some very nice earrings.</p>

<p>@Sdgal2 If OP has a strict $200 budget, avoid Tiffany’s. Look at places like sears or pandora</p>

<p>I would encourage you to make a trip to a couple of jewelers with one or both of your parents. The jewelry store experience alone is memory making (especially if you haven’t spent much time in one!) and might add to the memory of the gift - and, you might find that even in a very nice jewelry store (Tiffany or otherwise) that you might find something very special that is right for you. I might be crazy, but there is something special and memorable to the special attention - even the gift wrapping and such that you get in store as opposed to ordering something online. </p>

<p>Just something to think about. :)</p>

<p>We got D a Tiffany ring for graduation / 18th birthday and she wears it always. It was $175 I think.</p>

<p>Another, somewhat ironic point: when thinking about buying jewelry that can be “passed down” to future generations, people generally think about classic, timeless styles. But when I look at the inexpensive pieces in my grandmothers’ and mother’s jewelry boxes, the most appealing pieces are those that are distinctively of their time – pieces that scream 1940s or 50s, for example, or my great grandmothers’ art deco pieces. I think this is true with vintage jewelry generally (except, perhaps, for the truly fine stuff); the most popular vintage jewelry is that which is most instantly recognizable as being from a particular era. This is all to say that if you find yourself attracted to the more trendy styles, don’t avoid them simply because you someday want to pass the piece down.</p>

<p>Re shopping at a retail jewelry store vs online: i much prefer the online experience when I have a particular budget in mind. Jewelry stores, maddeningly, often hide the price tags and it is hard to get the salesperson to understand that you want to see every single thing in the store under $200. And the clerks often use sales techniques designed to encourage upward price creep - “We don’t have much in stock at $200, but for $275 we have a fantastic selection …” </p>

<p>I do think it is worth going to a jewelry store to try on styles to see what chain lengths work best on you, etc. it is then much easier to visualize what the piece purchased online will look like. </p>

<p>@AnnieBeats Tiffany can be done for $200 (or $250 as OP says they are willing to spend) and will always be special in that little blue box…</p>