32 Act- 2.6 gpa w.....

<p>So^ ya title explains most, want to go into chem e/econ or finance... Any schools that would be well accurate low reaches for this that are somewhat respected(tier1)?</p>

<p>Good ECS, great community service, good recs. No honors or Ap ever taken...</p>

<p>tier 1 is out of the question. i'm not sure what to tell you...</p>

<p>It really depends on how you got that 2.6 GPA. </p>

<p>Did you tank horribly freshman year and then try desperately to improve or were you just mediocre all 3 years? </p>

<p>If the former is the case here then of course you have a shot at some bottom half of the Tier 1 schools, if the latter is the case then you'll have incredible difficulty getting into a Tier 3 school. </p>

<p>Very impressive ACT score though, I commend you.</p>

<p>Attend CC for a year and then matriculate into a nice college.</p>

<p>^that seems to be a good option</p>

<p>I'd agree with the CC sentiment. The 2.6 GPA is going to be a deal-killer for most places that people have even heard of.</p>

<p>However, since you're able to get a 32 on the ACT, that shows that you probably have the ability to succeed at a top college given adequete preparation and work.</p>

<p>So, go to your CC, keep up your skills, get all A's, and then apply as a transfer. It'll be the best for you in the long run.</p>

<p>2.6 GPA is going to ruin all chances with the top 100 colleges.</p>

<p>I just finished my junior year of high school and i am in the IB program. I got a 3.28 gpa unwaited. I am in different clubs and i have a lot of student service learning hours...around 100 or so. I also play sports all year. But i am a very bad test taker. i just got a 1490 on my SATs and this is the third time i took them. I increased my scores from like the 300s to the 400-500s. I know this isnt good. and i have yet to recieve my ACT scores. Im kind of on the fence on whether i did okay or not on that test. Is this going to hold me back from getting in the University of Maryland college park? Im just afraid i wont get it because of my bad SAT scores..would that be the case?</p>

<p>^You should start a new thread, but here's how you "stack up' at College Park.</p>

<p><a href="http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/academictracker/servlet/ACTServlet?pg=2&collegeId=3633%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/academictracker/servlet/ACTServlet?pg=2&collegeId=3633&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Oh my Candid123... with all due respect, I think you should take a serious look at some other options given your standardized tests AND gpa. </p>

<p>Certainly apply but know that it will very much be a long shot. There many, many schools out there that will be viable options given your stats but I'd be surprised if U of MD is one of them.</p>

<p>even with the Ib program??i thought that they would look at the rigor of your classes also....i mean it is very very hard and i got 1 C and 3 As and 3Bs...i mean some people i know failed some classes...its the toughest high school work out there...really</p>

<p>There are some very good Tier 2 schools with good science programs and good B-schools that will accept you IF....</p>

<p>You apply EARLY.....that often helps at some Tier 2 schools - especially if they have rolling admissions.</p>

<p>However, since your GPA is low, you won't likely get scholarship money.... Soooo how much will your family spend each year? THAT will also determine where you should apply.</p>

<p>BTW.... I remember that your mom has some concerns about racism at Alabama. I wouldn't worry about that. Bama is integrated....11% African American. Are you African American? There is some racism on every campus. Bama is not a racist campus.</p>

<p>@Candid123 -Contrary to popular thought, there's a very long list of highly regarded schools that don't even consider SAT scores. Research them and apply, good luck!</p>

<p>you're not getting into UMD with less than a 2000. UMD is becoming increasingly selective</p>

<p>but when i went to the college visit the head of admissions said that they dont only look at the SAT scores and grades but also look at the rigor of your course work..i mean i am taking college level classes here and im focusing more on the ACT because i think i have a better shot at doing well on that....also they look at the ECs too and i have a lot...is there really no chance for me?</p>

<p>If you're that desperate for UMD then apply anyway even if people tell you you don't have a chance. </p>

<p>A $100 deposit fee is worth it for a chance, however small, to your dream University.</p>

<p>aww thank you so much it really means a lot</p>

<p>Candid123 - you have a great ACT score and your desire to get into a good college is coming through on your posts. It is difficult to significantly raise your GPA before your apps go out. I think you need to be prepared with a solid response should you get asked about your GPA in an interview. Being prepared is half the battle. Good luck!</p>

<p>Candid123, Here is info for you regarding University of Maryland-College Park:</p>

<p><a href="https://www.irpa.umd.edu/menus.cfm?action=wocnfresh%5B/url%5D"&gt;https://www.irpa.umd.edu/menus.cfm?action=wocnfresh&lt;/a>
^read this over and then compare your stats to the stats on this report.</p>

<p>Also, take a look at this:
University</a> of Maryland - Freshman Profile Information</p>

<p>From the link above: Admits Fall 2010</p>

<p>For the Fall 2010 Freshman class, we received over 25,500 applications for a class of 4,075. </p>

<p>The admitted freshman students have a strong A-/B+ or better average in their high school coursework and took the most challenging courses available to them including honors, Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate courses. </p>

<p>For the Fall of 2010, students admitted to the University of Maryland have an average (weighted) GPA of 4.01 and the middle 50% of SAT scores ranged from 1250 to 1400, and between 28-31 on the ACT. As a result 25% of the admitted students scored below a 1250 on the SAT and 25% scored above a 1400.</p>

<hr>

<p>Consider this school a reach for you because of your GPA. Apply and see what happens. It's not "out of the question", but it's definitely not a "sure thing" either. Also, if you're applying OOS--move the difficulty of admittance a bit higher as they will be most likely be looking for stats on the upper end of their 50% range (which is listed on the data set in the link provided).</p>

<p>Definitely apply and see what happens. Make sure to have solid safeties (both financial and academic) on your list.</p>