4 Year Graduation Rate

Hi guys,

I just had a quick question about 4 year graduation rate at UofM! My Mom really doesn’t want me to go here for a few reasons, but one of the reasons she keeps citing is that it’s really hard to graduate within 4 years here. I definitely didn’t get this impression while on tours and stuff, but was wondering if anyone else had experience with this? Their 4 year graduation rate seems pretty good (76% ish I think?), but I want to get some input from actual students here. I’ll be attending LSA if I do end up attending UofM.

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

I don’t think it is difficult at all to graduate in four years unless you are in certain programs like engineering and architecture, which are typically 4+ year programs at just about every school. There is nothing about Michigan that makes it harder to graduate in four years than any other school.

That is what I was thinking as well. I think she’s just biased :wink:

Michigan’s four year graduation rate is similar to Stanford’s and Rice’s. All my friends at Michigan graduated in 4 years.

4 year graduation rate probably has different meaning at each school.
Some students transfer out to other schools. At some schools students can double majors and graduate in 5 years.

The 4 year graduation rate, which is used – in part – to rank schools, is really largely a wealth index: 1) some kids run out of money and have to stretch out the period over which they acquire credits; 2) some schools (though I haven’t heard this of Michigan) may limit the number of “sections” offered for core courses required for graduation due to lack of instructors or a squeeze in facility utilization.

I’ve never like this measure: 1) it penalizes poverty (or lack of relative wealth); 2) it penalizes schools which may be facing funding crises induced by poor off-campus management of budgets otherwise unrelated to the schools administration.

This measure says NOTHING about student or school quality…what it says is that the builders of indexes which impound this measure are willing to punish poverty and reward wealth. This measure rewards large per capita endowment schools with wealthy entering cohorts and penalizes low per capita schools with poorer cohorts. I actually find it a bit unseemly that it is even a dimension used in rankings.

Michigan’s retention rate is exceptionally high, which speaks to the mutual student/school “fit”. The 4 and 6 year graduation rates are also quite high for a public school. As to the 4 year graduation rate, one might ask what that rate would be were all students fully funded from day zero to day of graduation.

76% comes from here
http://obp.umich.edu/root/facts-figures/public-dashboards/retention-graduation-rates/

They have not calculated the 6 year graduation rates for entering 2010 Fall admits yet, since this semester April 2016 has not finished yet.

However, I expect that the 2016 Fall entering class’s graduation rate to be very high. Since the move to the common app, the Michigan population pool has grown considerably academically stronger. I recall not too long ago the ACT 50% range was between 27-31, and the acceptance rate was 50% if not higher. Those numbers are more reflective of 2010 and prior entering classes. These days the average ACT range is 30-34, which is very high for a school this large. In fact, Berkeley’s range is more like 29-33. The last acceptance rate was like 26%.

If you see here, Parental income population has exploded over time. In 2010, the entering class has 16.9% students with incomes at least $250,000. In 2015, there are now 25.9% students come from families with incomes $250,000 and over. Plus it is now the biggest income bracket on campus.
https://studentlife.umich.edu/research/factbook

TLDR; Don’t compare 2010 vs 2016. These are vastly different students.

There are plenty of in-staters who don’t know how much better than UMich is than Michigan State (and how much that difference has grown). And this is mostly because their parents went there much long ago.

FOUR YEAR GRADUATION:
Rice University 82%
Massachusetts Institute of Technology 81%
Claremont McKenna College 80%
Bryn Mawr College 76%
Mount Holyoke College 76%
Oberlin College 76%
Stanford University 76%
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor 76%
University of Southern California 76%